Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-30-2007, 11:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sick Starfish

I got a chocolate starfish and 2 clown perculas from the LFS. I only had one SW tank, and had to QT them together. The perculas had a strong outburst of ich the next AM and I used "copper safe" for the tank. Now the perculas are better, but the starfish looks like it's almost dead. Are starfish sensitive to Coppersafe?

Old 10-31-2007, 09:16 AM   #2
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Yes. Copper will kill any and all inverts.

Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 09:21 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have a sand crab in the same tank that's still vibrant and strong.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:52 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

How did you transfer the star they are not to be exposed to air .... Also some times the copper will affect diffrent animals diffrently ... But copper safe is not reef safe or invert safe.. What are your copper levels this needs to be tested as it will spike and get to toxic levels , tho inverts have a LOW tolorance to copper
10 gallon ~6.5 gallon custom
Sadielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 11:36 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I agree, that will limit you on not putting anymore inverts in your tank. You can try to run carbon to try to remove as much as you can, but most of it is probably absorbed into just about everything in your tank, including sand, rock, seals, filter media. You may want to run some Bio Chem Zorb , this will remove heavy metals. I have never used it so I can't speak on it's effectiveness....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 10:41 PM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Stars are more suseptable to copper then other inverts but they all should not be exposed to that stuff. Sorry, Bad choice on the copper safe with inverts.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 08:24 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I put the starfish directly in the tank after acclimating in the bag. I did not put the water in, but only the starfish. If the starfish was exposed to air, it was for less than 1 second.

So then how do you treat SW fish for ich? I know the ideal way would be to have a separate QT tank. But in my case, I had only 1 SW tank.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:39 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to usmcmarc Send a message via MSN to usmcmarc Send a message via Yahoo to usmcmarc
Your in the same boat I was in. I made a makeshift QT from a plastic tote. Threw in my GAC bag from the main tank (to seed QT with bacteria) and a few pieces of PVC, powerhead, heater and a cheap HOB filter. Had to cycle it. Then after the cycle was over, I could put the fish in it and let the main tank fallow while treating the fish in the QT. I got lucky in the fact that nothing died while waiting for the QT to cycle.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:38 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Starfish are not suseptiable to ich try to target feed him to see if you can get him to eat ... Stars once sick are difficult at best to "cure" But since you dosed with copper it will be difficult to ever house inverts as it will be in the rocks, sand and the seams of the silicone on the tank..... and will continue to leach out over time ...Get a copper test kit and see what your readings are at also add the bio chem zorb (replace frequently ) replace all filter pads and start doing some water changes to see if you can get your copper to 0. I would still worry about it leaching from the rocks and the sand tho
10 gallon ~6.5 gallon custom
Sadielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 08:37 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Here is the next chapter in the story. The starfish died. But I aquired 30 gallon tank, so I'm setting it up as my main SW tank and plan to rehab the 20 gallon I was using for the SW QT tank. I plan transfer the inbabitants to the 30 gallon, get rid of the substrate and any calcium based contents like shells in the 20 gallon, and boil and reuse the rocks. Sadder but wiser. At least a little bit wiser I hope...

Tags
ick, sick, sick star, sick starfish, starfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com