Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-28-2004, 11:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Sick Starfish? Help!

Just got 2 choc chip starfish and they are getting stringy and also look like a fungus on the top. I'm also seeing a foam substance from where they have moved. Is this the beginning of disintegration? Right now the only parameter that I see that could be an issue is the salinity which is between 1.021 and 1.022.

Old 07-29-2004, 12:31 AM   #2
steve-s

The specific gravity can definately be an issue. Inverts in general do much better in the 1.024-26 SG range or a salinity of 35 ppt if using a refractometer. Aside from that, acclimation time is paramount.

How did you acclimate the stars?

Inverts are very sensitive to any changes in salinity, pH, temp and other parameters from one tank to another and should be drip acclimated for several hours.

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-29-2004, 12:34 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I only dripped them for an hour....are these the signs of the beginning of the end for them...should i do a partial change and get the salinity in range...or will that affect the other snails, fish that I already have in the tank?
Old 07-29-2004, 12:42 AM   #4
steve-s

The signs you've indicated are not in favor of good news sorry to say. You should attempt to adjust the salinity but don't exceed much more than 0.001 SG/day.

The easiest way to allow the salinity to come up with less impact on the animals is through evaporation. It allows the animals to acclimate gradually instead of all at once. After the salinity (SG) desired is reached, simpley top up the tank with new SW that is of the same salinity.

Unfortunately once necrosis has started there's nothing you can do except play wait and see, they may yet recover. Just be sure there is nothing in the tank that will pick at the area's of the star, specifically shrimp.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
ick, sick, sick star, sick starfish, starfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com