Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-04-2011, 02:02 AM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

I don't think your animal had Nh3 poisoning personally. I think your readings were altered by medications, i.e. false readings. Garlic does help stabilize immune systems, but since ich is a parasite fish cannot just "kick it themselves" without human intervention. Many companies have personal stakes in their claims because their "laboratory tests" have confirmed an altered state; however, very few medications are considered invertebrate safe and those that claim to be don't appropriately eliminate parasites (if they did, they'd have the market in the palm of their hands) and in turn have a diminished concentration of the actual medication within. If you perform 50% water changes daily or twice daily you shouldn't have any noticeable NH3 (siphon all waste/uneaten food). Nitroimidazoles incorporates, in large part, Metronidazole which is used to kill internal parasites, just not ich usually (fed orally). Other than an actual ich medication, treat with an antibacterial to cover your bases in QT.

Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:01 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
i have had fish with ich when they first came in, and it subsided, never to be seen again. this has happened on multiple occasions. i do believe that a strong immune system can go a long way in overcoming it.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:57 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I regret to have to tell you that I went to bed and tang was still swimming, woke up this morning and he was dead. My fox face and sand goby are the only ones left look to be doing fine, fox face just looks a little stressed and hides but no signs of disease.

I would really still like to know what may have happened so anyones input reading this is still very valuable to me and anyone else who may encounter the same problem.

Thank you for your continued support.

One more question, I put back in my carbon and turned back on my skimmer just encase it was the meds that cause this to happen the last 24 hours. If all stays stable in my tank, how long should I wait until introducing fish again??

I have a UV sterilizer in my fresh water tank right now doing some work on a green water issue but I think it would be beneficial to put that onto the salt once that is complete. Sound like a good idea??
Old 02-04-2011, 03:31 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

i would wait a few weeks at least. the UV sterilizer isn't going to correct an ich problem or an ammonia problem, so i would leave it on the fresh tank.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:29 PM   #15

Okay....I bought that UV after your advice on my fresh water tank. I hope it starts clearing up soon. Your right the water change made it worse.

The ammonia problem is only in the QT. Does UV not kill parasites??
Old 02-04-2011, 05:41 PM   #16

UV does kill some parasites and bacteria as well as algae spores but will not help with parasites attached to the fish.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:54 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollin_hard View Post
UV does kill some parasites and bacteria as well as algae spores but will not help with parasites attached to the fish.
it's only going to kill what goes through it. there is very little bacteria in the water column, and the amount of ich parasites that will go through the UV unit are so few that it's not effective.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:24 PM   #19

This is the problem I have learning about all this as a beginner. I am not saying either one of you are incorrect (obviously I don't know either way 100%) but all the research you do to try and learn about this always conflicts with someone else's opinion and you can never know what the actual correct answer is.

Then I really cant truly trust my LFS because it is a serious conflict of interest to him that he wants me to fail so that i buy more fish & product from him.

I find this is a loose loose unless you know someone personally to advise you.

I still do appreciate everyones help, but its just hard because everyone says something different for almost everything.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:24 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

well, we really didn't disagree.

Tags
ick, pic, sick, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com