Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-19-2008, 03:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Sick Toadstool (white patch)

Hi, I've had this toadstool for around 9 months and he was doing fine. About 2 weeks ago he stopped extending his polyps all the way. I though he was going to shed. Now his polyps are sill not opening all the way but I see white patches on him in two places. Is this necrosis? or maybe an infection? I tried blowing him off but the patches seem to be getting bigger.

Thanks Lou.

125 gal tank
Ph 8.2
Sg 1.026
Temp 78
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 8
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1102.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	12530   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1096.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	12531  

Old 01-21-2008, 08:18 AM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I know if my leathers are not doing so great I will do an Iodine dip for them. Just get a bowl or milk jug and cut the top off and fill it with tank water and put a cap of Kents or something similar Iodine in the water and place the coral in there for about 15 minutes and return to the tank. If you start to see the coral deteriorating I would frag the good parts and watch them grow to other healthy toadstools. But try the iodine dip first. Also are you doing frequent PWC`s to replenish iodine that is being depleted by normal fish and coral processes. If not it would be a good idea.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 08:28 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree on the iodine dip only I do mine for 1/2 hour then return them ... I have one that it is not opening either but yet is not detoriatin either I am moving it round to see if something is irritating him , he is scheduled for another dip today ... You may have to dip a few times to get results but usually after the 1st you will see improvement ..Also to add to what mel said try replacing any carbon as this may be depleted from use
10 gallon ~6.5 gallon custom
Sadielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 04:19 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

I am unable to give an iodine dip, the leather is attache to one of my large LR. Is there another way around this? Thanks.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:50 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not that I can think of hopefully others will have some advice ..
10 gallon ~6.5 gallon custom
Sadielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 01:25 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

The white patches, are they "cheesy" and flaking? If so, you can either cut the patches and direct flow towards that coral or cut the stalk (place flow towards the stalk), then cut the necrosis and direct iodine application or iodine dip with no internal cutting and place in quarantine.

Tags
ick, sick, toad, tool

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com