Sick Toadstool (white patch)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LouieB

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, I've had this toadstool for around 9 months and he was doing fine. About 2 weeks ago he stopped extending his polyps all the way. I though he was going to shed. Now his polyps are sill not opening all the way but I see white patches on him in two places. Is this necrosis? or maybe an infection? I tried blowing him off but the patches seem to be getting bigger.

Thanks Lou.

125 gal tank
Ph 8.2
Sg 1.026
Temp 78
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 8

Attachments

• DSCN1102.jpg
    DSCN1102.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 135
  • DSCN1096.jpg
    DSCN1096.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 108
I know if my leathers are not doing so great I will do an Iodine dip for them. Just get a bowl or milk jug and cut the top off and fill it with tank water and put a cap of Kents or something similar Iodine in the water and place the coral in there for about 15 minutes and return to the tank. If you start to see the coral deteriorating I would frag the good parts and watch them grow to other healthy toadstools. But try the iodine dip first. Also are you doing frequent PWC`s to replenish iodine that is being depleted by normal fish and coral processes. If not it would be a good idea.

I agree on the iodine dip only I do mine for 1/2 hour then return them ... I have one that it is not opening either but yet is not detoriatin either I am moving it round to see if something is irritating him , he is scheduled for another dip today ... You may have to dip a few times to get results but usually after the 1st you will see improvement ..Also to add to what mel said try replacing any carbon as this may be depleted from use

I am unable to give an iodine dip, the leather is attache to one of my large LR. Is there another way around this? Thanks.

Not that I can think of :( hopefully others will have some advice ..

The white patches, are they "cheesy" and flaking? If so, you can either cut the patches and direct flow towards that coral or cut the stalk (place flow towards the stalk), then cut the necrosis and direct iodine application or iodine dip with no internal cutting and place in quarantine.

Back
Top Bottom