Sick Tomato Clown?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pure epsom salts is simpley magnesium sulfate and can be used to suppliment the Mg in the main tank if your saltmix is defficient or your tank simpley uses up faster. The supps you get at the LFS are Magnesium Chloride diluted in RO water. The small amount of sulfate salts added instead of chloride will be of no concern.

Test with an Mg test kit (I use Salifert) and dose as mentioned before. 1 tablespoon per 50 gal actual water volume. Be sure if in the main tank it is not added close to a buffering product or it will bind with the carbonate and precipitate. Don't exceed the 50 gal ratio in one day but it is safe to dose daily until Mg levels are reached. Add predissolved several hours after the buffer but before Ca additions. If using a two part liq supp, you most likley won't need much if at all.

Cheers
Steve

I haven't been adding buffering stuff at all. Is this something I am also supposed to be donig?

My last post (about buffering) was not in relation to the QT tank and the clown, sorry if I switched topics on you.

As long as the pH in the QT is okay I wouldn't worry about buffers much, especially if doing regular water changes. The only exception would be with using hyposalinity, then I would definately test both alk and pH at least daily.

As far as the main display tank, keeping tabs (testing) on alk/Ca can usually be quite beneficial even if it's not a reef/FOWLR set up. Wether buffers and such will be needed depends on the animals that use it.

Cheers
Steve

He is looking better today. :mrgreen: Atacking everything in his path thet even looks like it's eatable. :roll:

Steve, I'm not sure on using the buffering stuff. How do you test Alk? I have a ph test.

justmy2cents said:
I'm not sure on using the buffering stuff. How do you test Alk? I have a ph test.
Good to hear on the clown. Did you add some epsom yet?
As far as the alk, you should be able to get a test kit at the LFS or online. As I said though, don't worry about the QT but it should be monitored on the display tank.

Alkalinity by Randy Holmes-Farley

Cheers
Steve

Thanks Rev.,

Yes Steve, I added the epsom salt to the QT anyway. I'll have to get an alk test before I start using it in the display. Thanks for all you help.

I just wanted to caution about Epsom Salts. This is OK for a one time small bump in Magnesium but it's not appropriate for regular dosing or large increases. Anytime you need to increase more than 50ppm you need to use Magnesium chloride.

Bang Guy said:
I just wanted to caution about Epsom Salts. This is OK for a one time small bump in Magnesium but it's not appropriate for regular dosing or large increases. Anytime you need to increase more than 50ppm you need to use Magnesium chloride.
Why? I have been using epsom for Mg addition for years as a weekly maintenance. The amount of sulfate added to the system in comparison to the total chloride content is negligable. If the chem is that wacked, I would suggest water changes as apposed to a supp anyway. Epsom salts will not harm the tank if used propely like any other supplimental addition.

Cheers
Steve

I disagree that the Sulfate is negligible.

To raise the magnesium of 100 gallon of water from 1150ppm to 1250ppm you will need a full pound of Epsom Salt. This would raise Sulfate 400ppm. That's not terrible IMO but I would just caution about doing that often or using any more. 400ppm is a significant rise in Sulfate.

If you tried to double that then I think an 800ppm rise would be unacceptable. Same goes for regularly dosing it. You're going to get an overdose of Sulfate fairly quickly.

Just an opinion of course.

steve-s said:
Epsom salts will not harm the tank if used propely like any other supplimental addition.

I absolutely agree with this though. A small amount of Epsom salt is very beneficial. I just don't believe regular dosing or adding 4 pounds of it is proper use.

Bang Guy said:
A small amount of Epsom salt is very beneficial. I just don't believe regular dosing or adding 4 pounds of it is proper use.
No arguement there. As I said, if large additions/changes are needed a water change would by far be more beneficial. Large additions of any kind of mineral suppliment are never wise and at the very least should not be attempted in a single day's addition.

Cheers
Steve

Then we agree :)

I only posted the caution against excessive use. I can envision someone trying to go from 900ppm to 1350ppm using Epsom Salt. I just wanted to post a caution.

Thank you for the chat Steve!

Back
Top Bottom