Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-22-2005, 09:08 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to mjvincent
Sick Tree Coral

I bought a tree coral last friday. I had to move it a couple times in my tank (snails kept on moving it) and finally decided to plant it in the sand base near a light source. I noticed since day two that the main trunk and limbs will retract and then later open up again at various intervals regardless of external stimuli from snails or red legged hermits. My water chem has been fine. Ammonia and Nitrites 0, PH 8.2, Nitrates 0-10 sg 1.025. Coral is situated where it will get a moderate amount of water flow too...

32 gallon hex, 34 lbs lr, Prizm protein skimmer, fluval 104, 1 maxi jet 750, 1 maxi jet 1200 ph, current 40w 50/50 pc, 1 NO powerglo 19watt, 1 daylight NO 65w (equiv), two damsels, 1 green brittlestar, 1 peppermint shrimp, turbo snails, red legged hermit crabs, kenyan tree coral, leather coral, pumping xenia, mushroom coral, green star polyps, orange button polyps
mjvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 09:39 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

May not be sick. Just still getting used to the new tank - and being moved since there.

Any other coral in the tank? Phosphates checked recently?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 09:49 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also it may not like the level of flow where it is situated. May want to try moving it to a new location. Another thing to consider is lighting. What kind of lights was it under at the lfs compared to the lighting you have. May just need some time.
Old 02-28-2005, 09:04 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to mjvincent
Just an update... I did find out I had a bit of problem with salinity and that was adjusted over a two day period... The tree coral looks good now, and it still goes into a shriveled state, but less and less now... Do these reproduce or get bigger?
32 gallon hex, 34 lbs lr, Prizm protein skimmer, fluval 104, 1 maxi jet 750, 1 maxi jet 1200 ph, current 40w 50/50 pc, 1 NO powerglo 19watt, 1 daylight NO 65w (equiv), two damsels, 1 green brittlestar, 1 peppermint shrimp, turbo snails, red legged hermit crabs, kenyan tree coral, leather coral, pumping xenia, mushroom coral, green star polyps, orange button polyps
mjvincent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coral, ick, sick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com