Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-12-2010, 05:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
sick urchin

i have 3 different urchins in my tank a pencil(1month) and a tuxedo(1week) and long spine (3days). the tuxedo im afraid is dead he was very healthy then all the sudden his spines fell off and he stop moving so i froze him R.I.P. juan... but all of the levels were rite and all of them were acclimated the same, both the pencil and longspine where from the same place but the tuxedo was from a different lfs, the pencil is doing really good practically double his original size and the long spine is very active and they have algea to eat and dried seaweed which the snails and them eat... so the only one to die was the tuxedo who was in there the 2nd longest the pencil was in there for almost a month now, any thing i could do?

joaquin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 05:42 PM   #2
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
What size tank? What are your water parameters tests reading?

melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:25 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie
sad news my long spine the newest to the bunch started to lose his spines, it was weird i was away for two hours and come back to see him limp and spines around him, my tank is a 30 gallon tank, with fluval 205 canister filter and a aqueon tank mount filter and protein skimmer, my test reading say i have a good pH, my nitrate were 10, my nitrites were basically 0, and my amonia was 0 too, i had a black ich infection but i was using a "invertebrate safe" ich remover, and the feather duster, and the pencil, and snails, and anenome seem to be doing just fine, **** the pencil is 2x as big as when i first got him and the anenome is 3xtimes bigger, my fish are all under 4", a long nose butterfly, niger trigger, yellow tang, algea blenny, cleaning wrasse, baby snowflake eel.... so in the end i notice every thing i tested was decently good so idk my salinity i test with a calibrated refractometer, and it is 1.021 so idk, the long spine was doing good all last nite and today running around and then i did a 25% water change and i made sure the salinity was matching and then 2hrs later he was dead, i put him in the freezer to euthanize him this sucks i hope the pencil does good
Old 07-13-2010, 11:45 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to catmel
We really need detailed tank specs to help you out ( ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, ph, salinity, temp, calcium, kh hardness) actual numbers really help rather than ' around 0 ' )

Are you topping off your tank with fresh water?

Sounds like your tank may be a bit overtsocked. Your problems will only increase with having 3 soon to be large fish in a small aquarium.

No ich treatment is 100% reef safe that actually works I've found out. I would also suggest not dumping treatments or chemicals in your main tank, but rather putting them in a hospital tank to treat. I would do a big PWC and perhaps run some carbon to get the medication out.. then transfer sick fish to a hospital tank and treat then.
75 Gallon Saltwater Reef

Just your average LVT (licenced vet tech) trying to help the world's animals!!
- Melinda
catmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:26 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie
k this is a test i just did after your reply

Ammonia=less than .5 like the color was a little lighter than .5 but not quite 0ppm

Nitrite= 1.0ppm

Nitrate= 20ppm

that is what my test kit came out to read

the anemone seems to be doing good very active , the duster eats and is active, and the pencil which has been in there for a month the other two were 2weeks and 4days, i'm wondering if they didnt acclimate well, i did all of them the same the whole, float bag in for 15min then add water every 4mins to the bag fills bit by bit so idk i hope the pencil lives
Old 07-14-2010, 01:54 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie
and when i top off the tank i top it off with freshwater that i used conditioner in to remove the chlorine and junk
Old 07-14-2010, 03:35 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via MSN to SHARPiE
Nitrite is a KILLER - PWC to get them down ASAP.
Keep doing PWC's daily if not twice a day to get it down to zero.

Some say nitrite is more poisonus than ammonia.

Once you have the nitrites at zero - monitor it very closely to ensure they stay at zero.

May seem a silly question, but have you cycled your tank correctly?
20 Gal - Planted CO2 Community Tank
4.5 Gal - Planted Shrimp Tank - in progress

Useful Acronyms
SHARPiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:47 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak
Your tank hasnt cycled? Or unless youve added a big bioload?

Amm and nitrite should be 0. Before any inverts added, I'd say thats why your urchin died.
Also, You'll need to top up with RO/DI water. Not just tap water with conditioner. Conditioner is ok for fresh water tanks, Not salt.
dannyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:30 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Real simple to me. You got waaaaay too much in a 30g tank. Butterfly, trigger, tang, and eel need to go back to the store. Your problems and deaths in that tank are just beginning.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:05 AM   #10
Thanx but no.....

You're overstocked (as already stated). Either something died and is decaying, your tank can't filter the load and/or (likely) you killed all or part of your bacteria with your ich treatment. I'd get rid of anything but the blenny and the wrasse regardless of how large they are or aren't. That's alot of $$$ you're going to be flushing soon. IMO

Treat the tank with Prime (or something similar) to detox the toxins until you get a plan in place.

CaptainAhab is offline   Reply With Quote

chi, ick, sick, urchin

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com