Sick Urchin maybe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keysfishfinder

Aquarium Advice Regular
This morning found my purple urchin with all his upper tenticles flat and a large number of them in a trail where he moved during the night. I took him out of the tank and his bottom seems fine, he is in a quarantine tank till I get home. Also noticed what looks like a crack on his top side in the shape of a starfish arm.

The only thing new is a bristle star (week ago) and 2 hydor koralia powerheads (yesterday). Everything else has been in the tank.

Thanks
keysfishfinder

Attachments

• urchin_goingbald.jpg
    urchin_goingbald.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 178
That's not good and normally when an urchin is injured to the point of losing spines it won't last much longer. Any crabs in the tank by chance?

Sometimes fish or inverts dont go bad right away. It will take time as I had 2 angel that were good for 4 yrs before they decided to wreck my reef. I agree with James that it does not look good.

I have to agree, this looks like typical dying behavior for an urchin. Why? Hard to say. I have one exactly like yours that is doing great and has been for nearly a year now, while I've had green ones that perished in only a few months. As for the crack, that is a typical marking. Once all the spines are released, you'll see many more of them. They are just part of the urchin.

thanks all, just got home and he lost all the spines except for 2 rows on the bottom. Looks like he is a goner. To bad cool little guy to watch do his thing. Headed out to try and catch some other stuff today so maybe will see one of these out on the rocks.

Back
Top Bottom