Sick Xenia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ajacinth

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My xenia have been spreading well and have been healthy until recently. The only fish I had, a goby which somehow got out of my tank died. Afterwards the xenia haven't been really pulsing and the fingers have been turning whiteish and shrinking up. Could the loss of fish cause this to happen or if not what else?

Have you tested your water parameters? Xenya is normally one of those corals that are less tolerant of changes in thier enviroment and will give notice if there is something amiss. How much flow do you have? If they get blasted to badly by a ph, they will not pulse. Also, since there are no fish in the system, are you feeding it?

I am feeding it phytoplankton, maybe a teaspoon every other day. The water flow isn't to hard or two soft, and I've done water tests. I don't have an iodine tester but, I've been added a small amount every week. I hadn't had my protein skimmer on in a while, I'll try that. Also I hadn't done a water change in a while, might be a good time.

Water change is the best place to start and it may be as simple as that. Good luck, I hope it comes around for you.

there is an article in this month's issue about Xenia, Id recommend checking it out.

IME, Xenia is a great barometer for tank conditions. Xenia is a coral that requires good to great water quality. It also needs pruned every once in a while. I find that mine gets happier when I do that. Iodine is a must IMO for good health. One thing though. Xenia is a coral that does not require feeding. It survives off of symboitic algae (xoozanthellae). Feeding phyto can increase the levels of nitrate and phosphate in your tank thus creating a bad environment for Xenia. I am not saying that it is the problem, just a thought. Another thing is lighting. Xenia does like light also.

Xenia is a coral that requires good to great water quality.
:D I have been fighting the idea that my water test are bad. Seems like my water quality is staying good to easy. My xenia is doubling in size monthly. I feel a little better. Off subject I just ordered a silver stalk pulsing xenia from liveaquaria's aquacultured facility. I was curious to how different it looked. Frags for sale soon. :)

Xenia does go through spells at times, however do test no3 and po4. no3 at about 20ppm can cause xenia to start 'melting' at 40 - 50ppm it begins to die off completely. Something is 'afoot' in your tank and its trying tell you ; )

Peace.

Back
Top Bottom