Sick Yellow Polyps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mmaglione

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have purchased yellow polyps about 4 months ago and they seemed to be fine. I had about 16 heads on them and they were reproducing. My T5 light fixture broke so i brought the polyps back to the lfs to hold for me. They were there for a week then i got them back with a brand new T5 fixture and new bulbs. 1 10k and 1 actinic. The polyps have not been reproducing and it seems as if they are just 1 by 1 dying off. I only have about 8 heads left and i am quite worried. They just shrivel up and dissapear and have not been reproducing. Does anyone have any ideas of how i can save my polyps, i dont want them all to die, i would just like it if they would reproduce again. I have noticed that there are a bunch of feathers that popped up on the rock around it , my guess was that they were eating up all of the phytoplankton but this is unlikely as i feed each individual head. I have noticed a thin layer of waste or sand on all of the rocks, not sure what this is.

3. Nitrate: 0 - .5 ppm
4. Calcium: normal 15 range
5. Phosphate: .05 but changed water
6. Alkalinity:normal buffer range
7. pH: 8.4
8. Salinity: Was 1.028 - they seemed used to this, i weened them down to 1.023 slowly and they seem worse
9. Temperature:79 - 82 fer
10. Liquid or strip test kits:liquid
11. Location in tank: mid level to high
12. Current amount of flow: med - low , now med - high
13. Current tank dosing regimen:phitoplankton 2 per week
14. Nearby coral: none

Are your lights T5HO. How many watts per bulb and size of tank? What kind of livestock. I had some dwarf angels one time that almost wrecked my reef. The yellow polyps were the first to go. Just trying to do some trouble shooting.

55Gallon tank, i have 2 54W t5HO bulbs, and have a hawlk tang clown, and chromis with astria snails thats all. I have never seen any of the livestock bother the polyps but i am always having to pull the snails off of the polyps, dont think they are doing anything, i know they are not eating them.

That does not seem like enough light for a 55g reef. You could try to dip your polyps in a solutiond of 1-2 drops iodine per gallon in a QT.
Be sure that lthe PH and temp are the same as the DT water. swish the polyps around for a few minutes rinse in clean tank water and put it back in the DT. In a couple of days repeat if needed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom