Sick yellow tailed damsel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Khrystie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 29 gallon saltwater tank. Everything is fine. In the tank I have 2 damsels....a yellow tailed and a blue devil.(& some hermit crabs) I have had the tank a little over 2 years. Both fish as well. Both fish were fine this morning and when I came home today after lunch, I noticed my yellow tailed damsel at the bottom breathing heavily. He is still breathing heavily and tries to move around every now and then. Does ANYONE know anything that might be wrong? His color is fine and there is nothing on him. The other fish is fine. Is it his time to go? Just out of the blue this happened. I would appreciate any help anyone has to give me. I consider pets as humans and would appreciate any help anyone could give me. Thanks......Khrystie

2 years and you did not add anything recently? I may just be old age. Do you notice any marks? Maybe he was injured.
What are your water chems?

Sick Damsel

Hey thanks for the advice and thanks for the welcome! I just checked the water and everything was fine. The ammonia was just a little high but that was it. I really don't think he's gonna make it. I walked back in there to check on him and a hermit crab was messing with him, so I put a bowl in there with him under it so nothing won't bother him. I got another small aquarium set up....the filter's been running about 20 minutes but I am scared to put him in there since it is not completely finished. I just HATE to see him lying there breathing....and I hope he's not suffering. But thanks for the reply and the welcome. ~Smile~ Khrystie

Take the bowel off it. unless its slotted, it'll prevent oxygenated water from getting to him.

it'll also build up a sper high consentration of ammonia in that spot and poison him.

Agree with William, also you stated " ammonia is a little high". What is the level? That could have a lot to do with it.

Back
Top Bottom