Sick Yellow Tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jcdwep

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a yellow tang that I have had for 2 years. I noticed yesterday that he was staying hidden and not out and active as usual. Today he is still the same but out where I can see him. He looks as though he is starving to death. Skin and bones. He has always ate extremely well and was doing so day before yesterday. His condition seems accelerated or something. I have tried several types of food that he normally eats but nothing.
Water parameters are all good and no other fish have shown any signs of any condition. The only signs he shows of a problem is his physical feature of being so thin. He wasn't like this a mere 2 days ago.
Any ideas or help?

Wow. Well, have you added any animals to the system recently?
You say water parameters are OK, what are they? anyone picking on him? What do you feed him?

Feed him nori, spiruulina pellets, shrimp, and basic multi-food. Nothing new in the line of feeding. Added a couple of percs and coral beauty over 2 weeks ago. No picking going on. Total mystery to me. I don't think there is anything I can do. It is as if whatever happened has got him. It must internal I guess. Outside he looks fine except for the skin and bone appearance.

Try putting some fresh Calerpa in the tank. Never known a yellow tang to turn that down. Make sure of your water parameters. Good Luck

Well whatever it was it did him in pretty quick is all I know. He never stood a chance. Everything else if fine. I guess it will remain a mystery disease/problem. Thank you for all the input guys.
I really appreciate it.

Sorry to hear about that. Next time you have a tang try to keep some natural food for him. Macro algea is a good source of food and vitamins. I keep my tank stocked with grape Calerpa and red kelp. They love to graze on this stuff. Good luck next time

Sorry about your loss as well. If you have the opportunity to have another Tang, use Selcon to soak the food with. This will help build his immune system during these trying times.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom