Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-16-2006, 01:55 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Sick Yellow Tang

I have a yellow tang that's sickly looking. His fins have turned a golden orange and his stomach looks sunk in. Last week he was darting around the tank then he just stopped swimming and lodged himself under a rock. I managed to get him out from the rock and now he just doesn't look very well. At first, I thought he might have ick, so I moved him into QT and treated him with copper. He won't eat and is still darting around in the QT tank. He acts like a fish who's had one too many cups of coffee!!!!!!!! Any ideas on what might me wrong with him so I can figure out how to treat him?

Old 05-16-2006, 04:16 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
Why did you think it had ich? None of the symptoms listed would indicate that. A little more history would be helpful. How long have you had the fish? How did you acclimate it? What size tank is it in and are there other fish and are they fine? What are you feeding it?

Old 05-16-2006, 05:26 PM   #3

I thought it might have ich because of the way it was darting around the tank. My experience has been that fish normally act this way before the white specs break out all over them. I've had the fish for about 2 weeks now. I acclimated it by a slow drip for about 45 minutes. My tank is a 55G, but it's now in a 30G QT for approx 4 days now. The other fish are fine, showing no symptoms at all. Feeding the fish brine shrimp, seaweed and pellet food, but no luck on him eating.
Old 05-16-2006, 05:31 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Try soaking the food on Garlic:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...pc=1&N=0&Nty=1

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 05:42 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickietory
I thought it might have ich because of the way it was darting around the tank. My experience has been that fish normally act this way before the white specs break out all over them.
A fish stressed from any number of things could cause it to dart about. Has the fishes fin color changed any more? gotten darker or lighter since the QT? If you could, a nice picture of the tang could go a long way towards someone determining what the issue may be.

(also, going to move this to the sick fish forum)
Old 05-16-2006, 11:31 PM   #6

The fin color hasn't gotten any worse, but it also hasn't goten any better. It's a strange orangish color. Tried getting a picture, but you can't really tell what it is......just looks like a yellow blob in the picture.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:01 PM   #7
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Also try feeding him some sea weed selects or calerpa to get his strength back. It does not sound like ick. I see you said sea weed but do you mean Calerpa

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 09:22 PM   #8

It's Seaweed Salad (Green Marine Algae)
Old 05-17-2006, 10:13 PM   #9
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I just dont know if I would continue with the copper treatment. I still have not seen any reason to believe this is ick unless you have seen salt grain like objects on this tang. If he is jerking around you might want to see if you have any electric current in the tank. Maybe you need a ground probe. Just guessing and trying to help.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 10:49 PM   #10

I have only performed one copper treatment. If it was some sort of electrical surge, wouldn't the other fish also be affected...........or are the tangs a little more sensative? I appreciate your help....I need all the help I can get...LOL

Tags
ick, sick, tan, tang, yellow tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com