Sick Yellow Tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vickietory

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a yellow tang that's sickly looking. His fins have turned a golden orange and his stomach looks sunk in. Last week he was darting around the tank then he just stopped swimming and lodged himself under a rock. I managed to get him out from the rock and now he just doesn't look very well. At first, I thought he might have ick, so I moved him into QT and treated him with copper. He won't eat and is still darting around in the QT tank. He acts like a fish who's had one too many cups of coffee!!!!!!!! Any ideas on what might me wrong with him so I can figure out how to treat him?

Why did you think it had ich? None of the symptoms listed would indicate that. A little more history would be helpful. How long have you had the fish? How did you acclimate it? What size tank is it in and are there other fish and are they fine? What are you feeding it?

I thought it might have ich because of the way it was darting around the tank. My experience has been that fish normally act this way before the white specs break out all over them. I've had the fish for about 2 weeks now. I acclimated it by a slow drip for about 45 minutes. My tank is a 55G, but it's now in a 30G QT for approx 4 days now. The other fish are fine, showing no symptoms at all. Feeding the fish brine shrimp, seaweed and pellet food, but no luck on him eating.

vickietory said:
I thought it might have ich because of the way it was darting around the tank. My experience has been that fish normally act this way before the white specs break out all over them.

A fish stressed from any number of things could cause it to dart about. Has the fishes fin color changed any more? gotten darker or lighter since the QT? If you could, a nice picture of the tang could go a long way towards someone determining what the issue may be.

(also, going to move this to the sick fish forum)

The fin color hasn't gotten any worse, but it also hasn't goten any better. It's a strange orangish color. Tried getting a picture, but you can't really tell what it is......just looks like a yellow blob in the picture.

Also try feeding him some sea weed selects or calerpa to get his strength back. It does not sound like ick. I see you said sea weed but do you mean Calerpa

I just dont know if I would continue with the copper treatment. I still have not seen any reason to believe this is ick unless you have seen salt grain like objects on this tang. If he is jerking around you might want to see if you have any electric current in the tank. Maybe you need a ground probe. Just guessing and trying to help.

I have only performed one copper treatment. If it was some sort of electrical surge, wouldn't the other fish also be affected...........or are the tangs a little more sensative? I appreciate your help....I need all the help I can get...LOL

Back
Top Bottom