Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-22-2006, 12:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
sick yellow tang

I have a yellow tang that's sickly looking and his stomach looks sunk in. Feeding the fish brine shrimp and roman lettuce I had two yellow tangs die this way there is a purple tang that is 3 years old looks great I have no luck with yellow tangs the water is good do not know why I can not keep yellow tangs alive

opie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 02:25 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Try feeding nori instead of lettuce. Also, brine has absolutely no nutritional value unless you are soaking it in a good supplement. Try mysid instead as well as a good commercial tang/herbivore diet. Here are some suggestions.

Fluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 05:17 PM   #3
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
I agree with Fluff that they need Nori of seaweed selects. I feed mine grape calerpa , an all natural live macro algea but is sometimes hard to get. I`ve heard stories of lettuce causing blockages in tangs.
melosu58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 12:38 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist
His little belly means he's starving. Follow the above advice and he should fatten up. Mine eat a half-sheet of nori every day from a nori clip. They nip at it all day long.
Steve - DFWMAS
92-gal Corner Bowfront: VHOs,PCs,LR,LS,Sump,Skimmer,Fish,Soft Corals,LPS (Born again 9-04)

29-gal: PCs,LR,LS,Skimmer,Fish,Soft corals (Born 9-04)
No_Floaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 11:09 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Only use lettuce if you completely freeze it first. Under water, plantlife do not have cellular walls like they do above water (like lettuce). If you feed your tang lettuce, he does not have digestive enzymes like we do to break down those cellular walls. The lettuce will pass right through him and he won't get the benefit of the nutrients. Thus, you should freeze the lettuce to kill the rather thick cellular walls, and this should help.

**I am not positive about this, I read it somewhere online.**

Good luck.
- Mike
125 gal. reef w sump/refugium & 8-bulb 640w T5's
45 gal fresh w/plants + CPF lighting
boardsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote

ick, sick, tan, tang, yellow tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com