Sick zoo....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wlng3

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought a nice zoanthid 2 days ago and the water in the bag was a little cloudy and it released some sticty material when handled and now it has some white stuff on it. What do I do?

I have a second problem, the torch is always contracted because the Yellow Goby is always sitting on or next to it.

The torch may not survive the constant irritation from the goby. Not a lot you can do about it. It may take a while and trial&error before you get a happy little ecosystem where everthing thrives and get along.

The white stuff looks like a fungus to me...hard to say from a pic though. I would remove the zoo colony to a separate container, gently remove the white stuff with a new soft toothbrush, and then dip the colony in either Kent Tech D or Lugols. If you use the Lugols, go with about 20 drops per gallon and don't leave the zoos in for more than about 5 minutes. I would also place the zoos in an area with lots of current. That should help them recover. If all else fails, break the rock and get rid of the diseased part. If you can keep 3-4 healthy poylps, you should be able to save the colony and they'll grow back in time. JMHO.

I personally would frag the zoos and stay away from the fungused part. The fungus usually consumes the zoo colony, frag the healthy ones quick, IMO.

Thanks. What is the easiest way to frag the zoo? Do you just remove the polyps or do you actually removed the stony part as well?

Back
Top Bottom