Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-06-2003, 07:33 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, dont put too much flow on the zoos, they wont like a blasting current.

Old 07-17-2003, 12:28 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It has infected my Pipe Organ Coral, my most favorite coral besides the leather. I've been siphoning and have lost a lot of polyps on it due to this brown fungus, this morning it has gone across the tank and attacked a Xenia that was under the leather, which btw doesn't get very much light and I wasn't sure how long it would be able to survive under there, for some reason it never moved up to the light it just stayed in the shade of the leather. We have been dosing with Selcon which is the only thing we could find locally that had Vitamin C in it, it has 200 mg. I'm going to order some Kent Marine C today. Is there anything else we could be doing to make this not spread? It has affect two zoos which seem to be healing, no more fungus on them, no problem on the leather or the green polyps. I just don't want it to spread to anything else. Major water change? Should we do something different to the Pipe Organ? Siphoning it seems to be more damaging than helpful, if I lose the polyps what are the chance more will grow back, or will I eventually be stuck with a red skeleton with a tunicate and sponge left on it?

Look forward to anyones help thank you!

Salt4Us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 12:50 PM   #13
steve-s

Syphoning is still the best method of keeping it somewhat at bay. If you leave the bacteria alone it will only spread faster. Water changes will be a good idea to help keep things in line as well as ensuring fairly aggressive water flow. I hope the vitamin C is being dosed daily and all carbon/resin products have been removed?

What are your nitrate readings?

If polyps remain after the problem is erradicated, they will spread out and grow new colonies but the already done in ones will not regenerate.

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-17-2003, 01:34 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Can we see another pic? How fast is it spreading? Is it consuming tissue, or just smothering it? Is it fungus like, or is it a jelly like goo?

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 01:46 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well I just siphoned it off this morning about an hour ago, it hasn't come back, but the last couple days we have been siphoning it off twice a day. It is smothering it and the polyps won't open from it and basically is eating it away making the polyps stringy when siphoning When it comes bacck I'll get a picture of it and post it, I'm hoping I won't have to.
Old 07-17-2003, 01:56 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Can you remove the rock that they are on? You may want to consider a dip. Also make sure they are in an area of good flow, once the stuff is siphoned off the flow will help keep the goo from settling back on the zoos. If this were my tank, I would seriously consider fragging any zoos that are salvagable as well as the xenia and the Pipe organ.

Old 07-17-2003, 02:03 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The zoos are fine now, it's mainly the pipe organ and I can just get rid of that xenia and cut it off the rock. As far as the pipe organ yep I can take it out, it's a full piece, but how do I frag a pipe organ? I don't want to do anything to damage the tunicate either, it's an ugly color but it's a cool thing to watch.
Old 07-17-2003, 02:14 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
As far as the pipe organ yep I can take it out, it's a full piece, but how do I frag a pipe organ?
The skeleton of a pipe organ coral is very brittle and can be fragged by breaking it (although this will give little control over how much is actually fragged) or you could use a large pair of sheers cutting slowly and carefully.

Old 07-17-2003, 05:36 PM   #19
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt4Us
The zoos are fine now, it's mainly the pipe organ and I can just get rid of that xenia .
The primary problem with the pipe organ is the depth of the calcerous tubes. It is really void of any proper water flow and your efforts are being severly hampered by that.

If after fragging the pipe (as RR has suggested) I would syphon a small amount of tank water into a small pail and dose a small amount of Vitamin C and allow it to bathe there for about 15 min or so. Then place it back in the tank with reasonabley good water flow and away from any other coral.

The xenia should be placed as close to a power head as possible to prevent the bacteria from colonizing. It won't kill the Xenia, but it will give it a better chance at allowing the Vitamin C in the tank work.

How about those nitrate readings?

Steve
Cheers
Old 07-17-2003, 06:47 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The nitrate is 2.5. The Xenia is basically gone, almost looks like something munched it, which I guess is possible, damsels don't eat Xenias do they? We put the damsel that was in our 5 in the 29 with the clown, besides him kicking up sand I never saw him bother the corals, it could be the peppermint picking at it which he'll be gone tonight anyway.

The Pipe has some flow, not real strong, actually the PH flows over it not directly on it. It also gets some gentle flow from the fuge outlet. The stuff doesn't seem to be coming over it as fast today, but I did something different, the Selcon I didn't add, I have been using it all week and today I haven't been, do you think it could have been the Selcon?

The other Xenia that is next to the one that got munched is doing fine, both were in really good flow and attached to the base rock, they moved there themselves after detaching from the main one we had which we moved up top.

I'm just hoping this all goes away.

Tags
ick, sick, zoos

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com