Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-06-2003, 05:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sick zoos what do I do?

Here's a pic of our zoos, for some reason they've started to go bad. It was weird, the tops of them the flower part started to look like a pushed out flower and now they are brown and fungus looking, they are attached to the big rock now. Any suggestions of what I should do? Could my peppermint be destroying them? I have seen him on them at night.

Old 07-06-2003, 05:23 PM   #2
steve-s

Your pepps could be damaging them but keep in mind anything that walks across them has the potential to cause tears in the flesh.

Typically most corals will recover from small nicks unless the water is somewhat less than par. Have you tested the water levels lately? Nitrates could be a bit high.

This affliction is caused from bacteria and can easily be removed. Syphning off the bacteria with a small airhose is best so not to spread it. Then dose the tank with a good marine vitamin high in vitamin C after a decent water change (25%).

You can read about it >>here<<

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-06-2003, 05:39 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks Steve! I'll try the vitamin C thing and I think I'll remove the peppermint and syphining. Nitrates aren't bad, they are at 2.5, even though I know 0 would be best.

thanks again!
Salt4Us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 05:54 PM   #4
steve-s

2.5ppm nitrate should not cause this problem really. Are there any other corals in the same vacinity?

You should still treat the tank but I would look for a different cause.

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-06-2003, 05:57 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I really think it's the peppermint, he's constantly on them, I tried getting him, I'll try again tonight when I feed them, we used to have 2 peppermints and they killed our bubble tip anemone so I wouldn't be surprised, my husband is at the store now, he's gonna pick up some vitamin C, we do a water change weekly, maybe we will do more of one today. Thanks!
Old 07-06-2003, 06:09 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

What kind of water flow arte they in, and is your clown still hosting in the zoos? I do have an aiptasia that only comes out at nite, have you looked after the lights are out to see what might be going on with them? Be very carful with the zoos when dealing with them directly, they have a very powerful toxin.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 06:17 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Nope, the clown that was hosting the zoos is the one that was eaten by the Giant cup that is back at the LFS. The other clown only hangs out under the Toadstool. Right next to these zoos are some other zoos that are larger but nothing is wrong with those. The ones below these are starting to act weird too but no brown stuff. Our question is will the vitamin C hurt the other corals or fish that are in the tank? We bought tablets and are going to crush them up, we'll siphon the gunk off them but the rock the way it's positioned is impossible to raise out of the water. Believe me when doing this we are wearing gloves! Not taking any chances.
Old 07-06-2003, 06:24 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

I have no idea what the proper dose of vitamin C would be for your tank, I probably would have looked for a vitamin supp specifically for the tank, that had a high Vitamin C concentration. Make sure when you are finished siphoning off the goo, that you add some bleach to the bucket with the siphoned goo and water before disposing of it. Also make sure the zoos have plenty of waterflow.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 07:13 PM   #9
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt4Us
Our question is will the vitamin C hurt the other corals or fish that are in the tank? We bought tablets and are going to crush them up, we'll siphon the gunk off them but the rock the way it's positioned is impossible to raise out of the water. Believe me when doing this we are wearing gloves! Not taking any chances.
Vitamin C will not hurt anything in the tank unless overdosed. It is actually a very good theraputic additive. The dosage would greatly depend on tank size. Generally I prefer to use Vita-Chem by Boyd Enterprises as there is less guesswork invloved. The vitamin should be used at normal strength for 14 continuous days.

What vitamin did you get? Human consumption or marine based?

Here is a great article by Albert Thiel that should help you.

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-06-2003, 07:29 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well we were going to do human, but he's at the LFS now seeing if he can find Vita-chem. Our LFS's around here are sparce, and are finding that a lot of things that are available in other states for some reason california doesn't allow. Like Calpera is not sold in California, and my husband had a heck of a time trying to find a syringe to use to Kalk an apitastia with. I'm hoping he finds something containing vitamin C, he's siphoned off the goop and we had the zoos in indirect water flow, the water was flowing towards the top to push the disolved organic stuff on top of the water to the preskimmer, we have since moved it and will have it blowing towards the zoos.

thank you both for the help!

Tags
ick, sick, zoos

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com