Sickly blue-green chromis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chelli

Aquarium Advice Regular
Blue-green chromis-We've had this fish for more than 6 months now (bought from lfs, not from the wild) and all other tank mates are well. There are 2 engineer gobies, 2 maroon clowns, 1 damsel, 1 hermit crab. All tank perameters are ok. Salt is ok. No one else shows any signs of anything but the chromis started living at the top of the water along the front of the tank and sometimes he stands vertical in the water for the last 4-5 days. He is acting strange but other than that he shows no signs of anything. No scrubbing or rubbing on anything just acting weird. He's eating the same food as the others, the tetramin salt water fish food from the lfs. ANyone have any similar problems? He used to live along the back top of the tank behind the water delivery-tube for the canister filter. Maybe he changed his residence in the tank? Any ideas.. Sorry I cannot be more specific, I'm new to typing out fish problems. Thanks, Happy New Year!

Can't explain your experience except that I had a goby do a similar thing. He was acting one way when I got him and then one day changed his behavior. He went from very active, up and down the water column along the corners or the tank, to perching and slipping under the edges of rocks. He seemed fine too. Nobody harrassing him but after a few weeks of this new lifestyle, he began to lose color and weight. Eventually he died (last weekend) But I am not sure the change in behavior is related to him perishing. I think he died because he couldn't compete well enough for food.

Chromis are schooling fish and mine swim around in a group. I`m wondering if you got two more if he might perk up and swim right. He might also have something. I`ve also seen certain fish swim up at the top when they had something because there is more oxygen at the top. Do you have plenty of surface aggitation for proper aeration. Just some guesses at some possible causes.

Also be advised that sometimes Chromis have poor survival rates. Not to say that they can not be kept in captivity for a long time.

I have plenty of circulation. All the other fish are fine and happy. He's just all depressed and looking close to death. His color has now faded but he's still eating well. I don't get it. I guess if he were meant to perish, there's nothing we can do but wait.

melosu58 said:
I`m wondering if you got two more if he might perk up and swim right.
Not too sure if this is a good idea, they already have 7 fish in a 40G, assuming "my info" is still up to date. I do agree, they like to be in groups.
chelli, waht are your water parameters?
Are you only feeding them tetramin?
A varied diet is very important. I switch between a little flake and mysis soaked on garlic extreme/zoe and selcon.

I only saw 6 fish on the original post and they are pretty small. You might want to take him back so that he could be sold as part of a school. JMO

Usually animals being picked on will swim vertical in odd areas (overflows, top of water column, etc) or trapped in a corner so have you seen any aggression issues and chiefly from the Maroons and/or damsel? The color fade throughout the week is a sign of stress imo. Most fish that school in the wild will not school in aquariums due to lack of predators and the need for such defensive behaviors; however, there are some known aggressive fish in the tank already so a few companions probably wouldn't hurt your bioload much since it sounds like possible aggression. Water quality is always a concern so knowing that would be nice as Roka stated in addition to feeding a varied diet.

Back
Top Bottom