Sickly Looking Clown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gloomisboy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I just finished Cycling my 46 gal bowfront (FOWLR 50lbs live rock/ 80 lbs live sand) being a little hesitant on Wed 8/18/10 I went out and bought my first fish a 1.5 inch clown. I brought him home and acclimated him doing the 1/4 cup waitng ten minutes then another 1/4 cup then waiting another 10 minutes and then 1/2 cup and waiting 10 minutes then another 1/2 cup and waitng another 10 minutes. then I scooped him up and placed him in.

the fish seemed well that evening i offered it brine shrimp and it ate.

Yesterday I got home from work and noticed the fish in corner with its mouth open and with what apperead to look like a busted bottom jaw.

At night once i turned off the lights he began to swim around and noticed him rubbing up agains the glass still with its mouth open.

This morning when i check on him it was lower on the sand with now the top of the jaw busted aswell.

I checked my water: Ammonia : 0, Nitrite: 0, Nitrate: 10 but PH: was 7.8 might this be the reason. Do I need to Buffer my water?

SG: 1.024

now at the LFS I did notice that the fish had its mouth agape slightly but I didnt think nothing of it since it was swiming aroung and appeared to be doing well.

Overall the fish physically looks healthy and strong...just wondering if my tank wasnt ready or if my PH is the reason for the odd behavior. Or was it bad luck picking a sickly fish on my first attempt. I am afraid i am going to get home and he is going to be belly up.

I'd appreciate some input or if I did something wrong.

Thanks in advance.

Your water readings look fine, even the ph (7.8 is normal early in the morning, check it again at night right before lights out and see if it is higher). Could you post a pic so we can see what you mean by busted jaw? Maybe a hitch hiker on your LR is fighting with the fish.

Personally I would have taken a little bit longer in acclimating him, but that doesn't sound like its the problem here. Physical signs like this are usually caused by physical trauma. A picture would really help.

will post a pick when i get home from work. Is it common for the fish to rub up against the glass to the point of hurting itself?

Here is a not so great pick but the little guy would not stop moving. The pic shows the mouth.

img_1149189_0_8f2eb821c251869dcf3214590ebe07da.jpg

Here is another
img_1149189_1_017dcdd52242f5be09c776ac6b8f9512.jpg

Back
Top Bottom