Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-31-2010, 10:17 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell0605 View Post
Just a few quick things Michael.
1) Welcome to AA.
2) I'm almost certain that Lunare Wrasses are not reef safe. Not because of corals but because they enjoy a invert snack. It is possible he has been bothering your star? Also they are recommended for tanks at least 75G as they grow to 6"-8". So when he gets big your gonna need to find him new home. (Good excuse to upgrade the tank)
3) Melb/Syd? Which one lol. Nice to have another Aussie.
Hey mate,

There are several wrasse varieties (perhaps thats why I confused people) that look similar but are smaller. He looks very similar, but is reef friendly and much smaller, but for the devil of me I can't remember the name (3inch - 7.5 cm. (we got flooded out with the rain and my notepad with the fish names and species got wrecked, amongst other things)

And no he doesn't bother the inverts, I was assured that he was tank size. If I could post a picture it might be of help.

Yep and great to see another Aussie here. We have two homes, one of mine in Sydney (where I am from originally) and a home in Brighton in Melbourne. I travel back and forth regularly..

I also have a 131 gallon freshwater tank that I might like to convert in time. Any suggestions?

warm regards,

Michael

Old 03-31-2010, 10:22 AM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Can you find your wrasse in either of these links?

Fish only wrasses Saltwater Aquarium Fish: Wrasse for FOWLR Aquariums
Reef safe Wrasse Fish for Sale: Cleaner Wrasse and other Reef Safe Wrasse Species

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:35 AM   #13
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I know everyonce in a while I`ll put an algea tab under my stars and they`ll feed off of those.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:06 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Again, rather than being sarcastic, how about pointing out what exactly I have discounted or ignored? I am a novice (in Marine) and came for advice. Not to be told I am a blithering idiot which is what your above post suggests.
Sarcastic? Yes... guilty as charged. But when someone asks for advice, and then shoots down every single bit of information presented as possibilities without even batting an eye... don't expect someone to keep a warm, welcoming attitude. What exactly did you discount or ignore? Everything. Go back and reread your response. No... my salinity is just right per my experts. My nitrates are "OK". They are NOT starving. In reading your response, you are flatly ruling out starvation as an option and everything else has been shoved aside. To me... that sounds like your mind is made up and closed to the possibility that some of that stuff that is just fine, really isn't. My post was not meant to imply you're an idiot, but it was meant to say that you're coming in to this with a closed mind and that's not a good thing if you're trying to solve a problem.

I'll let other, more civilized folk, help you out. Sorry my brash response was taken personally. Not the first time that's happened here. But seriously... you really should do a bit more research on that salinity thing. Really.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:10 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

With a 131G you can go nuts.

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Mitchell0605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:54 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If your keeping inverts and corals, your salinity levels have to be 1.025-1.026. Invertebrates regulate their body based on the waters salinity level and need that high of a level to thrive. With your level of 1.021, they are basically not getting what they need and that will cause problems. One of the problems you saw was lethargy, they can't function properly and have to take sometime to rest to get going again. Another effect of the low salinity is that it will ultimately shorten their lifespan. That low of a salinity level is great for fish only tanks with no corals/inverts because it helps the fish breathe easier.

I know you trust your salinity source, but unless they are Marine Biologists, they're just giving their opinion like we do. The guys here know what they are talking about and have helped thousands of people with their questions regarding everything aquatic.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:29 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_Nelson View Post
Sarcastic? Yes... guilty as charged. But when someone asks for advice, and then shoots down every single bit of information presented as possibilities without even batting an eye... don't expect someone to keep a warm, welcoming attitude. What exactly did you discount or ignore? Everything. Go back and reread your response. No... my salinity is just right per my experts. My nitrates are "OK". They are NOT starving. In reading your response, you are flatly ruling out starvation as an option and everything else has been shoved aside. To me... that sounds like your mind is made up and closed to the possibility that some of that stuff that is just fine, really isn't. My post was not meant to imply you're an idiot, but it was meant to say that you're coming in to this with a closed mind and that's not a good thing if you're trying to solve a problem.

I'll let other, more civilized folk, help you out. Sorry my brash response was taken personally. Not the first time that's happened here. But seriously... you really should do a bit more research on that salinity thing. Really.
I'm not really coming in here with a closed mind, although it might seem that way. There are many opinions out there and I try and weed through the *I told you so* and the *we know best* scenarios, for want of a better time for my aquarium I do ask advice and when it is conflicting it adds a whole level of confusion. I am going to raise the salinity gradually and see the effects.

So far the little star is getting better. However, I did make a startling discovery which throws my complaints out the window (or stupidity). Two of the fish bought were by my partner who took my fact sheet about the tank to one of our Marine Aquarists, unfortunately he took the readings as 130 liters reading as gallons. Hence the wrasse and the huge big blue star.

Its confusing as the aqaurium industry in Australia can go by gallons or litres per what you say. My partner is not particularly a aquarium person but is keen on them now.

After everyones comments including your own, I called the Aquarium and asked about it and they said that the blues sea star was too big but would survive as long as no other fish or others were introduced. But that I needed to upgrade to keep them.

So I am going tonight to find out how much to change over the current fresh water tank (the fish in that have other places where they will fit in).

Aproxx 1K$ AUD upgrade. Money we don't have but I don't wan to lose any livestock so far.

Again thanks for your help.

Warm regards,

Michael
Old 04-01-2010, 04:33 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krypt View Post
If your keeping inverts and corals, your salinity levels have to be 1.025-1.026. Invertebrates regulate their body based on the waters salinity level and need that high of a level to thrive. With your level of 1.021, they are basically not getting what they need and that will cause problems. One of the problems you saw was lethargy, they can't function properly and have to take sometime to rest to get going again. Another effect of the low salinity is that it will ultimately shorten their lifespan. That low of a salinity level is great for fish only tanks with no corals/inverts because it helps the fish breathe easier.

I know you trust your salinity source, but unless they are Marine Biologists, they're just giving their opinion like we do. The guys here know what they are talking about and have helped thousands of people with their questions regarding everything aquatic.
Thanks for that, I often wonder whether I am given dud information from various places. I have been given inverts information and definitely agree, but was told by so called professionals that I need not keep the salinity that high for the average temp that my tank is. I have listened to the advice and gone on the hunt for further information because it's more important to me that my stock survive rather than perish.

Warm regards,

Michael
Old 04-01-2010, 04:38 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell0605 View Post
With a 131G you can go nuts.
I recalcted the figures and they are about 100gallons, 380 litres. I got a quote to d o an upgrade and it would be approx 1K, much cheaper than a brand new set up.

Going to have a look at additional equipment tonight, all I need is to replace the heto bulbs with t-5 t-8 and an decent protein skimmer.

Pluse live rock and live sand. Will keep you all informed.

Warm regards,

Michael
Old 04-01-2010, 06:24 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Awesome. How'd you get a quote though? Don't you set it up yourself?

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Mitchell0605 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ick, sick, star

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com