Sickly red star

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Awesome. How'd you get a quote though? Don't you set it up yourself?

Reflections Marine at Moorabbin gave me an estimate. They were extremely helpful. We just got back from there as they had an open night for members.

The only things I needed to get were a full on outside skimmer (protein) lots of real live rock and saltwater. The current filter will do fine and I can upgrade later. Also coral reef flloring was included as well at 100ltrs of fresh saltwater (boy the car was full).

The next most expensive things will be the lights of course, aproxx 400$,aud for T-5 set up. Which can wait.

The interesting thing was his comments about the live rock and it's importance in the longevity and natural filtration whereby I need not have anything more than power pumps for circulation and the protein skimme..

Only 500AUD so far including a professional skimmer, water all the live rocks and coral sand. The most expensive parts are the lights! I will still run a filter pump but that should be OK.

Cheers,

Michael

Mike I really reccomend you buy a Chiller. It's worth every single cent. I've had a tank crash because it got so hot. On my tank it's so small a chiller is ridiculous but on your tank it would be a huge asset.

Mike I really reccomend you buy a Chiller. It's worth every single cent. I've had a tank crash because it got so hot. On my tank it's so small a chiller is ridiculous but on your tank it would be a huge asset.

Are you referring to the new converted tank or the current Red Sea Max? The red sea really warms up but I have a extra fan that I run that cools the hood which is the main culprit in warming it. The ambient temp in the house is around 22-23C which is constant.

It's all a great big learning curve, I thought I *knew it all* but have been cautious despite this. My local aquarium in St Kilda took on most of the freshwater fish from the tank that is being converted and gave me a great deal on a Heto T5 lighting system and Eheim 2215 outside canister filter. 550$ AUD for both so slightly over budget but still great.

For the time being I have reduced the central cooling / heating to 20C to see if it makes a difference but am being careful not to make to much of change too quickly. I suspect given the weird weather we have been having in Melburne a chiller will be needed.

Sorry to hear about your tank. Nothing worse than spending a large amount of money to have everything go down the toilet. It must have been frustrating.

Thanks again for your help,

Warm regards,

Michael

No worries. That's what we try to do here, use our experiences to help others aviod the same things. :) With T5's they are good because though they are good lights they don't produce much in the way of heat, as opposed to MH's. I'm mostly talking about your new tank for the chiller. Especially if your gonna move the livestock in your current tank into the new one.

Back
Top Bottom