sifting fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hotskate

Aquarium Advice Freak
whats a good sifting fish to go through my sand bed and turning it over everynow and then but not killing my live sand bed u get what im saying?i have a bunch or hermits and snails

tia

whats a good sifting fish to go through my sand bed and turning it over everynow and then but not killing my live sand bed u get what im saying?i have a bunch or hermits and snails

You don't need a sifting fish per Dr. Ron instructions on keeping the DSB. The crabs and snails plus the infauna and worms in the DSB are all the "sifting" it needs.

I hear Sea Cucumbers stir up the sand a lot in their travels.

notmuffy said:

I have a pink knobboy cucumber in my tank for over a month and he crawled to the top of my glass and hasn't moved since then, I dont' know why, he must really like that spot?

yea i dotn want soemtihng that can wipe out my tank if it dies or getts sick? so do i get a fish or sometihng or no?

e-cat said:
notmuffy said:
the problem with them is if they get mad or stressed they will wipe out your whole tank

I don't have one, but I thought there were non-toxic types for the aquarium? Or do you mean how they expel their internal organs when stressed? :p

Jamal - do you have crustaceans like true crabs, lobsters, or aggressive shrimp? If so maybe your cucumber is trying to get away?

notmuffy said:
e-cat said:
notmuffy said:
the problem with them is if they get mad or stressed they will wipe out your whole tank

I don't have one, but I thought there were non-toxic types for the aquarium? Or do you mean how they expel their internal organs when stressed? :p

Jamal - do you have crustaceans like true crabs, lobsters, or aggressive shrimp? If so maybe your cucumber is trying to get away?

"they cast out their respiratory trees, gonads, gastrointestinal track and its contents through their mouth and anus. the result is poisoning/pollution/death and destruction too all other tankmates.......some other spieces have a further refinement to this anti-predatation mechanism, useing what are called cuvierian organs. these sticky fibers are discharged out thier ends onto threatening predators." qouted from robert fenner, the conscientous marine aquarist :wink:

any kind of fish is snails are slow ;( what do u think of those alage packs on liveaquaria.com?

any kind of fish is snails are slow

The only fish that sift sand are going to destroy your sandbed, you need to think in alternatives. Enough nassarius snails will get it turned over and keep it that way ;) The fastest method is to lightly blow the very top layer of sand with a turkey baster.

thanks giving isnt for a couple more weeks lol jk okay thanks u take alook at what i have alreayd am i doign okay?

SW - Nassarius Snail 20 of them

SW - Bumble Bee Snail - Tiny 12 of them

SW - Turbo Snail (Mexico) and 12 of them

i think i would be pretty much al set with my clean up crew you think that would be bad ? it would cost me 84 with out shipping form liveaquaria.com what do you think?

the snails i got from my lfs as u can see in my signature thingy they dotn look the same as the pics from this website for instance the turbo snail and stuff?

and what about a Court Jester Goby or
Black Sailfin Blenny

SW - Bumble Bee Snail - Tiny 12 of them

If I remember correctly, these snails are predators and will eat the infauna in your DSB. Someone want to check me on that?

and what about a Court Jester Goby or
Black Sailfin Blenny

The Goby is a no no for a DSB. The Blenny will work, but if you don't have the algae to support its appetite, you will have to supplement it with nori and the like.

i haev some like alage growing on some of my rock not the green green one but the brownish one looks spongey? oh and do u know what this is?

I have nassarius snails, they are very fast for snails. They keep the sand turned over well, they hide underneath the sand during the day. They also have bred. I started with 5 and now have at least 100 babies!!! I highly recommend them, they are awesome scavengers. :D

Back
Top Bottom