Sigh!! I think it's Ich!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

usmcmarc

Aquarium Advice FINatic
And the hits just keep on coming!

This morning I notice my 2 neon gobies (only) have what appear to be white specks all over them. Fins and Bodies.

They dont seem to be acting any different than usual.

All the rest of the tank is fine. This is just on the 2 gobies.

I have read the articles on the forum and have 2 major problems:

1. I have no QT. Cant even try to set one up, no room.

2. If I did, It would not matter. I can't catch the suckers. Everytime I try to get one, it darts into the LR. I was going to try the FW dip.

So I guess I have to try to treat the whole tank. Since I have inverts and corals, no medications.

I usually soak all the food in Garlic Extreme. The bottle says it can be added at 1 drop per 10 gal to the tank to entice feeding. I also read that garlic MIGHT be a cure as well. So I put 2 drops in today, and plan to add 2 drops each day to see if that helps.

Any other sugesstions would be appreciated.

1. How long have you had the fish? 1-2 months
Do you know if it was wild caught, or tank raised? Dont Know
2. How long has the fish been in the tank? 1-2 months
What are the tank mates? See Profile
Any aggression? No
3. Is the fish eating? YES
If so what does it eat? Formula 1 & 2, Mysis Shrimp & FD Brine Shrimp soaked in Selcon-Zoe-Garlic Extreme
4. What are the water parameters?
Temp - 79.3
pH - 8.3
SG - 1.023
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - <10ppm
Alk - 8 dKH / 143.2 ppm
Ca - 440 ppm
Phos - 0
Cu - 0

What saltwater test kit are you using? API
5. Is the fish showing any physical signs of disease, grain of salt size spots, discoloration, ragged fins, misting or spots on the fins, cuts, cloudy eyes, etc? grain of salt size spots, ragged fins
6. Is the fish "flashing" (scratching or rubbing on rocks, decorations or substrate)? No
7. How is the fish acting? Is it swimming around, or just hovering in one spot or corner of the tank? Both..they usually swim around and then sit for a while in one spot
8. Did you use quarantine?No
If so for how long and did you have a need to treat for any ailments? No
Is it in qt now?No
Are you currently treating with any medication(s)?No
9. Describe in detail how the fish was acclimated. 1.5 hour drip
10. What size system? What type of filtration do you use? Do you have any live rock or sand? See Profile
11. Do you use any additives? Kent Marine Tech CB (A&B) once a month after a PWC, Zooplex, Chromaplex, Phytoplex and DT's once a week
Have you used any sort of meds in the main tank?No

Read up on ich...your only two choices, in my opinion, that will take care of it are copper or hyposalinity. All the other stuff that claims it cures it just plays on the fact that the parasite appears and disappears. I know many on here claim success with the "reef-safe" additives, but I just don't buy it. As one site I just read mentioned, in those "success" cases it's questionable as to whether or not it was ich to start with.

Anyway... if they suck themselves into the live rock, just pick up the entire piece of live rock, and quickly lift it out of the water and hold it over a bucket of tank water. Or use two nets and "herd" them into one net using the other.

FW dip will not cure marine ich. You're either going to have to use hyposalinity for an extended period, or copper treatment - both of which are definitely not reef safe.

[edit: here's some good info:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-08/sp/index.php
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ichartmar.htm

WOW...While reading the articles, I looked over and watched one of the gobies. It was moving from here to there, and seemed to start hanging around one of the fire shrimp. Next thing I see is the goby skirt next to the shrimp and tilt to the side. The shrimp started picking over his body and fins.....Maybe the combo of that plust the garlic will help? I really have no choice at this point other than waiting and hoping it passes. I cant medicate the tank.

What about API Super Ick Cure...It says its Malachite Green, I read one of the articles that said malachite green has been known to cure ick w/o killing the rest of the tank.

I agree with Kurt. A QT can be as simple as a small cooler or container big enough for them to not be overcrowded. I have not found any scientific proof that garlic will cure ich, but I have read that it can help to boost their immune systems.

While a cleaner shrimp may pick off parasites here and there, it's not going to cure the tank. Read up on the life cycle of ich - it's not just on your fish. If it's truly ich, then it's in your tank and a cleaner isn't going to get rid of them all. As long as they have a fish to host on, they will continue to be there.

Sounds like you're not going to go the QT route, so at least make sure that the medications you're looking at are for MARINE ich... and not freshwater - they are two different beasts.

But to be blunt, remember that there really aren't any shortcuts in this hobby... and it seems like you're looking for one.

If it's just a matter of a cooler, then a QT isnt a big deal... I'll get a rubermaid tote, put in a heater and a PH.
I tried for an hour to get them out of the tank, but they are so small they keep finding a spot to hide. The only option would be to remove everything from the tank.
The thing I'm worried about is what you keep saying. That it wont cure the tank. So If I take them out, put them in a QT and medicate, then they might survive. But how do I cure the tank?
From what I have read, even when I take the fish out there are still spores or whatever in the substrate. I cant use copper or hyposalinity. So what do I do? Thats why I was looking for something to dose the tank with that was reef safe. Believe me, with over $2000 invested the last thing I'm looking to do is take shortcuts.

Definitely leave the tank fallow for 6-8 weeks. Make sure you have a cycled QT/cooler. You can seed it with media from your main, like sponges. Also, you will want to get some PVC for the QT, so you fish will have a place to hide and relax.

While I am waiting for the QT to cycle, I read all of those articles. One mentioned shutting the lights and raising the temp. The theory is that the raised temp will cause the parasite cycle to speed up, while the lights off will HELP keep them from being able to target the fish since the natural action of the parasite is to swim toward the light. So I figured it cant hurt to try it while I wait. I just hope the neons can hold on long enough.

I used tank water from my last water change and put the carbon bag I use into the tank. Figured since it was so cruddy, it had to have a bunch of bacteria on it.

I'll throw in 2lbs of cheap live rock, and some PVC like Roka suggested.

Does this tank need light?

If you go with any medication at all, don't use any rock - just pvc. Rock or sand can and will soak up certain medications, especially copper. If you're going hyposalinity, I don't see any harm with rock, but most folks leave their tank bare except for pvc.

If you go with any medication at all, don't use any rock - just pvc. Rock or sand can and will soak up certain medications, especially copper. If you're going hyposalinity, I don't see any harm with rock, but most folks leave their tank bare except for pvc.

Back
Top Bottom