sighs.... Condy Anenomes and Marron Clowns... pls help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shandoni

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a Maroon Yellow Striped Clown, and 3 Condy Anemones, My Maroon clown keeps tantilizing the anemones, such as swimming into it and toying. recently I noticed there was two pieces ripped (cut)off one of the anemones, and yesturday came home to see the same anemone swimming in the filter, dead. I also have a rather aggressive Lobster. But never noticed him around any of the anemones. But was thinking the Lobster may have cut one of the anemones tentacles, as it appeared to of been cut and not chewed. My Question... could the Clown be the one harming my Condy Anemones, and should I get his type of Anemones back in the tank? Im well aware the Clowns arent to tend to the Condy Anemone, but to use the Bubbletip and long tentacles. can you advise me in what to do with this particular situation? Thank you in advance! :?:

it would seem ulikely to me that the clown was the one to cause the damage. The lobster seems much more likely to be the culprit. From the stories I here about clowns, they are likely to host to anything. I've heard of some clowns even hosting some corals. It's all going to depend on the clown I suppose.

BTW, Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com :!: :mrgreen:

Thank you Billy, Although as I read all over the Great Web.. Im finding so many things that state Condys and Clowns = NO NO NO ... <shrugs>

Example...."Probably not... each is just doing what they do naturally. Maroon clowns are aggressive."and "I have stated... many times... a few decades back that this mix (though it can happen in captivity) is ill-warranted... and often leads to trouble (as in ingestion of the Clowns, death of the anemone".

Would you think to just get him his own Anenome? So hopefully hell leave the others alone? My LFS says the Condy's are stinging him to pieces but he very rarely acts if at all as though he is.

well all of my info on the anenomes is what i've gathered from here so I'll let someone else with more first hand experience address your concerns. But common sense tells me that if the clown were being hurt by the anenome he wouldn't keep going back to it.

lol that is what we all said.... who knows... (like your signature says) :lol: Ill just keep hunting around and see what I can find and hopefully make a decision as to get his his "own". Again Ty Billy... Ive been on this site all day.. so much to read! and having a blast

when i first got my maroon clown, i bought a condy without doing my research first. and my maroon clown never even thought about hosting in it, he completely ignored it. so i bought him a bubble tip, and immediately (well maybe an hour or two later after acclimation) he went to the bubble. i have noticed him being a little rough with the anemone, and actually seen him sucking/biting the tentacles. so if your clown is hosting in the condy (which seems odd to me) he could very well be biting the tentacles. but the tentacles grow back, and if the fish is happy, then i wouldnt worry about it.
Mermaid

from my understanding, when a clown takes an anenome as a host it does more than take refuge in it's tenticles. It will clean and even feed the anenome. So the "biting" you're seeing may simply be the clown tending to the anenome's health. Now if it is grabbing hold and tugging sharply like it's trying to yank off the tenticle, that might be a different story.

well with one dead... and still two in the tank we decided to add a Bubble Tip.... wish me luck pls! Thank you all for the great help!

Back
Top Bottom