Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-23-2005, 10:30 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Six Line Wrasse Cloudy Eye

I just added a six line wrasse to my reef tank last week. About after a day he developed a cloudyness in his left eye. The cloudyness has not gotten worse but does not seem to be going away either. My hope was that in time it would just go away on its own without the need to medicate.

The chances of my catching this fish are pretty slim considering he is in a 40 gallon tank with tons of live rock, corals, anemones and other reef inverts. Is there any medication or treatment I could use on the whole tank that might help his eye, or should I wait it out and see if it gets better.

The only parameter in my tank i would assume could cause for a cloudy eye is the salinity which is high - 1.025, but from what I am told that is natural reef levels.

thanks

Old 03-23-2005, 12:11 PM   #2
steve-s

1.025 SG is perfectly acceptable as long as it's accurate. If using a refractometer, shoot for 35 ppt.

As for the wrasse, being it's new there is a good possibility it's net/transport damage or it darted into a surface of the tank. Simple injuries like this do not need treating if noticed early enough. Doing a few large water changes with well aged/aerated SW over the next few days should do the trick nicely. Also be sure the foods fed are soaked in a good liquid marine vitamin before feeding.

Cheers
Steve
Old 03-23-2005, 12:32 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

IME if you're using a hydrometer there's a good chance that it is off by as much as .004. I got some frags this weekend and all but one were in water that was 1.029 (I'm in the process of verifying that these were taken with a hydrometer but that's certainly my guess). My water was also 1.027 using a hydrometer to keep it around 1.024. I can't believe they're acceptable in the industry considering how inaccurate they really are!

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 02:01 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

thanks guys

Tags
cloud, cloudy, cloudy eye, eye, line, six line, wrasse

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com