Skimmer/Filter/Powerhead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trk1616

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm looking for advice for 3 questions:

1)
I finally added a protein skimmer to my FOWLR (i was told my many people that a FO doesn't need a skimmer....tell that to all my fish that died). Anyway, I'm curious how often you guys clean out your crap that builds up in there. I just want to make sure mine is working OK.

2)
Now that I have this skimmer, should I keep my HOB filter with 2 bio-wheels? I've heard yes and no. It doesn't create a whole lot of water movement. I'm thinking of dumping it and maybe putting a smaller HOB filter (without bio wheels) back on. My fish seemed to do better before the bio wheels. Any thoughts???

3)
I've added a power head near the bottom of my tank. Do you guys normally run your powerheads with air (creates A LOT of bubbles), or just use it to move the water around? I've heard it's good to use air to add some Oxygen to the water, but it seems like there are too many bubbles.

Anyway....I appreciate any answers or suggestions as to how your tanks are set up. Thanks!

Tony

how much LR do you have? That will answer your bio wheels or not...
My 55 with 90 lbs of LR and Sand has a Emperor 400 with no wheels just the baskets for carbon...

trk1616 said:
1)
I finally added a protein skimmer to my FOWLR (i was told my many people that a FO doesn't need a skimmer....tell that to all my fish that died). Anyway, I'm curious how often you guys clean out your crap that builds up in there. I just want to make sure mine is working OK.
The neck of the skimmer (collection cup) should be cleaned weekly to remove algae/detritus build up or as needed. The more build up it gets the less efficient it becomes. You may also need to clean the air injector tube and the pump monthly. It can build up with dried salt and possible CaCO3 occassionaly. Personally I never bother with the main housing.

2)
Now that I have this skimmer, should I keep my HOB filter with 2 bio-wheels? I've heard yes and no. It doesn't create a whole lot of water movement. I'm thinking of dumping it and maybe putting a smaller HOB filter (without bio wheels) back on. My fish seemed to do better before the bio wheels. Any thoughts???
Answered above by XXFirefighter . Once the rock is upwards of 50-60 lbs you can remove the biowheel. The HOB itself may still come in handy for carbon or resins.

3)
I've added a power head near the bottom of my tank. Do you guys normally run your powerheads with air (creates A LOT of bubbles), or just use it to move the water around? I've heard it's good to use air to add some Oxygen to the water, but it seems like there are too many bubbles.
Bubbles are definately not needed. The aeration in a SW tank occurs at the surface of the water where O2 (in) is exchanged for CO2 (out). The bubbles from the venturi will not add O2 to the water. You need to either add another PH near the surface or aim the ones you have now upward so they aggitate the surface water. The ripples at the surface break the tension and allow for the gas exchange. The bubbles will just cause you alot of mess and salt creep.

Cheers
Steve

energyguy said:
Should there be tow powerheads? One on each sid of the tank?
Depends on the size of the tank and if there is a sump. Ideally the minumum flow through the tank should be 10x the water volume. For reef tanks as much as 20x is desirable depending on the coral types.

If placing a PH at opposite ends of the tank, make sure they are aimed towards each other (or the glass) to sprevent circular water motion. Caotic water flow is much better but it is important to create turbulance at the surface to promote gas exchange.

Cheers
Steve

I do not have a sump and I have a 58 gallon tank.
On one side I have the output of my eheim and the other is a powerhead.

Would that be enough or do I need a powerhead next to the output of my eheim.

What's the GPH of the PH and the Eheim?

Keep in mind that once the filter has media, it generally reduces the manufacturers flow rating by about 1/3 less.

Cheers
Steve

2227 has about 277 gph (1050 lph)

and I have a pengun 660 which is 170. I was wondering if I needed another one.

An additional Maxi Jet 1200's (295 GPH) would work great for that set up. If you ever decided to go towards a reef set up, you might add two depending on the corals you kept. A penguin equivalent should be fine if that's your brand preference.

The basic requirement would be aroung 550 GPH from the combined pumps. The Eheim will only push a little over 200 with the head pressure and media inserted combined with the penguin gives you about 350-400 GPH. With the added 295 GPH (or similar) you will be about 12x GPH for the tank volume.

Cheers
Steve

that sounds great. and thanks for the help.

I have five damsels in there now and getting some liverock in there this weekend. Everything else is working great.

Back
Top Bottom