Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-01-2005, 12:22 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Skinny BTA

How can I make my BTA look good again? Last july I got my BTA and it looked great for several monthes (see pic 1). I had to move several monthes later and ever since it just hasn't been the same. For the first couple of monthes after the move I didn't think my BTA would make it. I then started feeding it by hand (never had to before clown took care of it) and it quickly got better but not like it was. I then had to move the tank again because of the massive amount of direct sunlight it got. Shortly after my BTA split (see pic 2). Both seem to be doing well. They eat well and my clown swims between the two of them. They seem to be ok but I would like them to look as before. I have 1 65w pc 50/50 bulb and feed them homemade food I get from a friend (only food I've ever used). I feed everyother day. Any advise would be great. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	clown_and_anenome.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	2279   Click image for larger version

Name:	mr._giggles_at_home.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	2280  

Old 05-01-2005, 04:59 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

It takes a lot of energy to split, so that's probably why it looked a bit diminished. It might take it a little time to get back to its full glory. Also, conditions might not be as favorable in its new home as it originally was a year ago. Just some thoughts, I'm not really sure.

125 gallon saltwater: 55gal sump, 4 Blue-Green Chromis, Purple Tang, True Perc, Firefish, Royal Gramma, 5 Ricordea, Bubble Coral, 15 Pulsing Xenia, Green Star Polyps, Deresa clam, Green-Tip Torch Coral (about 11 "heads"!), Orange Montipora Cap, Purple M. Digitata, Green Slimer Acro. Yongei, 3 Orange M. Digitata, Pink&Green Acro. Millepora
dansemacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 11:26 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have the exact same story pretty much with my RTBA. It split about 2 weeks ago and the new smaller one looks wonderful, full buble tips but they are much shorter so seem to fill out more than the other half which has way longer tips but never bubbled either.

I'd love to make them look more "full" as well if anyone else has some ideas. I've had it (them now) for 5 months.

Equipment: 33G SW Reef tank (pic), 192W Coralife PC lighting, PHs for H2O circulation, Red Sea Berlin Classic Skimmer
Aquascaping: 3" DSB, 50lb live rock (~35 lbs home made Cement Base Rock)
Clean Up Crew: Blue Leg hermits, Cerith snails, Astrea Snails, Stomatella snails, Brittlestar, banded brittles.
Critters: Hawaiian feather duster, Coral Banded Shrimp, Emerald Crab
Corals: Open Brain Coral, Cabbage coral, 4 RBTAs, Melon mushrooms, green Zoos, yellow polyps, finger Leather, orange Zoos, Brown Zoos, Chocolate Zoos, Xenia, GSP, Kenya Tree Coral, 2 acropora SPS, blue sponge, candy cane
Fish/Inverts: Maroon Clownfish, Scooter Blenny, Coral Beauty dwarf angel, Sea Hare
vertex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 03:36 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have similar problem too. Ever since my BTA split, they have been very skinny and never recovered to its bubbly form. However, their size has trebled.
Old 05-01-2005, 03:53 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I had read that a skinny BTA was lighting related (not bright enough so it extends to soak up as much light as possible). Doesn't add up to why they would have gotten skinny after they split but seemed perfectly happy and bubbly before the split. I'm interested in seeing some more responses to this...

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 04:05 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I also agreed that skinny BTA is probably related to lighting issue. My BTAs are always extending their arms fully towards the light. This didn't seems to be a problem before they split and when they were much smaller.
Old 05-01-2005, 04:35 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

This probably isn't the case for all situations, but when was the last time you changed your bulbs? If they're too old, they will not give off the necessary spectrum anymore, even if they do light just fine.
125 gallon saltwater: 55gal sump, 4 Blue-Green Chromis, Purple Tang, True Perc, Firefish, Royal Gramma, 5 Ricordea, Bubble Coral, 15 Pulsing Xenia, Green Star Polyps, Deresa clam, Green-Tip Torch Coral (about 11 "heads"!), Orange Montipora Cap, Purple M. Digitata, Green Slimer Acro. Yongei, 3 Orange M. Digitata, Pink&Green Acro. Millepora
Old 05-01-2005, 04:56 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I agreed, but I have changed my lights every 6 months and not notice any improvement with my BTAs.
Old 05-02-2005, 02:09 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

my light was changed 6-7 monthes ago. Coming due for a new one, but even when the bulb was new BTA looked like this. I have just one 65w pc would 2 65w pcs help? MH out of the question right now.
Old 05-02-2005, 02:27 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

How big is the tank? I think one 65w sounds a little low for a BTA. But it would depend on the tank size.

Tags
bta, skin

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com