Sleeper Banded Goby Death Help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deadna

Aquarium Advice Regular
So, I bought two new saltwater fish yesterday. One was a 2 1/2" Six Line Wrasse. Some other guy was going to buy it, but let me take it instead. And today, day 2, he is doing great. The Yellow Tang was bullying a little initially, but today they're getting along great!
The other fish was a Sleeper Banded Goby. Now, when I asked about it, the fish lady told me it was a Dragon Goby. But I had my doubts, and a quick Google search confirmed that this was no Dragon. But, seeing as they both accomplished the same task, (and I would be getting a $25 fish for $17 XD), I bought him. Now, both of these fish were housed in the same tank at the store. According to the fish lady, the Goby was sifting and doing great before I got him. And after 2 hour of acclimation, he swam into a cave and disappeared. Now, as you know, Gobies usually hide for a while when you first get them. But this morning I found him sitting in the open. I was confused, but didn't question it. Sadly, no less than an hour later, he was being swept around by the current, dead. "So," I asked myself. "What could've possibly killed my fish?" He had no signs of an attack, so that was out. My PH, salinity, and various other levels were fine (granted, my nitrate is crazy high, but my other fish are fine. Even breeding no less! And my next water change is this weekend). So that was out. And it couldn't be that my tank was just too different from the pet store, because the wrasse was doing fine. (And no, he had not sifted into a substrate bubble. He hadn't sifted any sand yet). So I called the pet store and explained my problem. I wasn't mad that I had bought a crap fish. It was the fact that I had lost yet ANOTHER Goby! (SERIOUSLY, why do they keep dying?!) But the lady was understanding, and told me that the next sifting goby she got in was mine.

So, my question is, what could've killed him? Any ideas?

Can you tell us more about the tank, size, how long its been going, actual parameters...and so on? It is hard to diagnose any death or issue without such information.

Sure! It's a 55 gallon tank, been running about a year now. Parameters are:
PH. 8.4
Salinity: 1.023
Ammonia: <.5
Nitrite: <.5
Nitrate: >100 (As I said, I am due for a water change)
And the stocking is:
1 true percula clown
1 false percula clown
1 yellow tang
1 purple firefish goby
1 blue-green chromis
1 six line wrasse

Some fish, already in the tank gradually get used to the nitrates as they increase, but the new fish probably was more sensitive. Why would you not get the pwc done before adding new fish?

But wouldn't they both be affected if it was a matter of not liking the water quality? And as for not doing a water change before, I assumed that the parameters would be fine, as I've had no issues with doing weekly changes before.
And as a side note, my friend who used to buy from the same LFS let me know that the store's supplier sends sick fish in frequently. So a possibility is the fish was sick, and my LFS just didn't tell me what I needed to know about the fish. The lesson here is to quarantine fish before adding them. A beginners mistake I was bound to make eventually (this is my first saltwater aquarium, and only my second year keeping fish tanks).

Well, when it comes to nitrates you don't want that number to be above 40 in a fish only system. I'd be wanting to do very large water changes to get that number down as close to 0 as possible.
The yellow tang, a very large fish that requires a 6ft long tank to thrive in, wouldn't be helping matters. Big fish = big poop...lots of eating = lots of pooping...

Did you acclimate before adding the goby , looking at parameters I would look at that as the cause , all the other fish will follow behind if things aren't corrected , as for the tang I think hank covered that , Big 50% water change testing right after you do the water change wont be accurate wait at-least 4 hrs before testing

SAFE RANGE:

REEF 0 to 20 ppm

FOWLR 0 to 40 ppm

In both cases your safest bet would to try to keep them at the 1/2 way point
10 ppm REEF
20ppm FOWLR

In my reef I try to stay as close to 0ppm as I can
In my fowlr I try to keep it as low as I can around 5ppm
but this is me I seem to be quite anal when it comes to my tanks but I also have the time to be

Back
Top Bottom