Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-18-2005, 10:35 PM   #11
steve-s

One more question, sorry. How long have you had the chromis and what other fish do you have besides the tang?

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-19-2005, 11:10 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The 3 chromis have been in there for about 2 months. The only other fish is a 6-line wrasse about 1.5" long for about a month now. Corals are doing very well (birdsnest, mushrooms, zoos, millepora, montipora, toadstool, LT plate).

As for my tang. I haven't seen him anywhere for a day. I think he's perished behind a rock somewhere. I noticed I have a high SG (1.028). Could this have contributed?

runway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 11:58 AM   #13
steve-s

The high SG wouldn't do this unless your hydrometer was reporting incorrectly and it's actually much higher. If you use a refractometer, then it would not be the cause. You should reduce it down to 1.025 though.

My suspicion here is you introduced Uronema to the tank some time ago and all subsequent additions are falling prey. I would strongly urge you to QT the remaining Chromis, sixline and tang if you still have it and treat with nitrofuazone @ 30mg/gal for 5 days. Leave the main fallow for at least 3 weeks to allow the problem to die out.

If it is velvet (which I doubt), it will become more evident once the fish are in the QT. If so, you will need to treat with a copper based med (Cupramine preferabley) and extend the fallow period in the main to about 5 weeks.

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-19-2005, 12:45 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Considering my tank only has the remaining chromis and 6-line (I really think my tang is done. Being such a grazer, I would have seen him by now.), Can I just treat the main with nitrofuazone?

What is nitrofuazone and what does it do? Thanks, Steve.

P.S. Yes, I use a refractometer.
Old 05-19-2005, 10:24 PM   #15
steve-s

I wouldn't suspect the salinity as being part of the issue. 37 ppt is not going to create this kind of problem. Still, it should be brought down to 35 ppt for the health of inverts and avoid some nasty algae issues.

Nitrofurazone is an anti biotic that has proven effective against Uronema, except in advanced stages. It cannot be dosed in the main tank as it will kill off the biofilter and you'll end up needing to recycle the tank. If the nitrofuazone isn't effctive, you'll need to perform a series of SW formalin baths which would also require the need for a QT. Considering your remaining fish, the antibiotic should show possitive results.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
ich, slime, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com