Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-20-2012, 11:05 AM   #11
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I have faith things will come around. You have the experience to handle it. Just keep your chin up brother.

Side note, be careful when you make the LED leap. I underestimated how strong they really were and cooked corals on my sandbed. I'm still turning my radions down. Currently 65% power at peak and still have some sps on sandbed.

Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:46 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks man.... Appreciate the advice.
Oh well, if I lose the LPS, I'll trade out most of the Softies and remaining LPS, and go with a SPS tank, as these seem to be doing fine!

Old 09-22-2012, 11:50 AM   #13
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flreefer View Post
OK everyone, I need some input on an ongoing problem...
I run a undersized skimmer ,
I do use vending machine water,
And 3-chemical warfare from the Leathers.
And as of now, have not run carbon in the past 2 years. I am looking into a GFO/Carbon reactor now...
One thing we can't check for, unless you have access to a chemistry lab, is measuring the DOC's (dissolved organic compounds). My guess would be, taking into consideration the above quotes from your original post, your DOC levels may be a part of the problem along with the leathers. Even with regular water changes, they can build up over time.
I would suggest getting some good carbon, I run BRS ROX 0.8 in a reactor, and see if you notice any improvements. Getting your own RO/DI filter and a better skimmer, if possible, would probably help too.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:59 AM   #14
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I forgot you don't run carbon! I'd give it a shot as capt said. I wish you lived close to me, I would just give you some of mine.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:00 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks guys, I'm thinking carbon may help too. Working on getting some right now.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:48 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

All I can seem to find locally, is Marineland activated carbon, think this would be good for now?? I want to get it it in as soon as possible, so can't order it, and wait a week. I'll get the ROX 0.8 on my next BRS order though.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:12 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well couldn't find any ROX 0.8, so I picked up a 10 oz Marineland Black Diamond carbon and a 10 oz Chemipure. Going to mix them together. Since I don't have a reactor yet, and my old canister impellers are all messed up from using them on the fish pond outside, just gonna put them in a media bag in one of my baffle sections of my sump, after my PWC.
Hope this helps...this week I opted to leave 1/2 of my daylights off, thinking that maybe it was light shock, and so far...no change.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:21 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Think I may have just found the problem!! Was just finishing up with some maintainence and when I dipped my fingers into the fuge, I felt a little shock in the cuticles of my fingers. Main lights were off, fuge was lit, so thinking it was the fuge light I cleaned it all off even though there was barely any creep on the inside...not the light. After some work trying to isolate what was causing it, I believe it's my crappy, old skimmer! It's over 5 years old so I guess it's run it's course, but definitely time for a new one!!
I hope this was the cause of my LPS problems, but I am skeptical because the fish have showed no signs of distress.
Would it be possible that the stray voltage would effect my LPS, and not my fish?
Old 09-23-2012, 11:25 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Apparently not the skimmer either... Can't locate the source. Lights are clean, no creep at all, no heater....hoping its not one of my main pumps, have to try again when I get home from work.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:30 AM   #20
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Still man, I'm glad you have found the issue.

Tags
coral, corals, death, eat, lps

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com