small pimples on the fins and tails - help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tamren

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My clown fish has small pimples on its tails and fins. It's not white, it's the same color as it's fins. I first saw them on its tails, now it's growing on its fins. I went to the LFS, they told me to dip it in fresh water for 5 minutes. Is this true? Will it kill it? (I try to take a pic, but you won't see it, as the pimples are so small)

Note that the clown fish has been in my tank for 2 weeks. It's been in the LFS for at least a few weeks before I bought it. It was the last 2 out of a bunch of them. It looks health so I didn't bother put it in a QT.

My tank:
20 gallons, 2.5 months cycled, sand bed, live rocks
1 clown fish, 2 anemones, 1 colt coral,
0 ammonia, 0 nitrate (recently tested, I didn't re-test the nitrite as it always 0 in my tank since it's first cycled).

There are a few aiptasia anemones (very small, about 5 mm), I killed some already.

Thanks in advance for any forth coming responses.

tamren said:
It was the last 2 out of a bunch of them. It looks health so I didn't bother put it in a QT.
So I guess we can call this a "live and learn" experience for always properly QTing new arrivals :wink: Of which you should be setting up now. The fresh water dip will not be my first choice.

Do the clowns show any sign of heavy mucus coming from the body?
Are the pimples growing in size or staying the same?

My tank:
20 gallons, 2.5 months cycled, sand bed, live rocks
1 clown fish, 2 anemones, 1 cult coral
IMO, the tank is still too young for anything but fish or two and cleaning inverts at this point. I would be very leary of the colt coral and would strongly recommend returning the anemones. A new tank is not their best environment.

Cheers
Steve

Steve:

Do the clowns show any sign of heavy mucus coming from the body?
No.

Are the pimples growing in size or staying the same?
Those on the tails isn't growing at all since I saw them 2 weeks ago.
and those on the fins weren't there until about 5 days ago, and the size stay the same.

the tank is still too young for anything but fish or two and cleaning inverts at this point
How old should be the tank before I put the anemones in?

I dipped the fish on the fresh water already for 5 minutes. It didn't help at all. The fish was stressed for a whole day. It fully recovered now.
What would be the good medication then?

In the pic there is a white haze above the pectoral fin on the boby itself (I am not speaking of the natural stripe). Is that on the fish or a flaw/obstruction in the photo itself?

If using FW dips and being placed back into the same tank infected with any parasite your not going to change anything. The fish must be placed into a QT where the fish and the environment can be treated. This will allow the main tank to remain fallow for 4 weeks so the parasite the the main tank will die.

Did the FW dip have any affect on the "pimples" or are they excatly the same shape and size as before the dip? May not be a parasite or at least one that can survive osmotic shock.

The anemone should not be placed into any set up for at least a year, if at all. More info about the tank set up and lights would help....

Cheers
Steve

There is no white haze above the pectoral fin. It is a flaw in the photo.

Did the FW dip have any affect on the "pimples" or are they excatly the same shape and size as before the dip? May not be a parasite or at least one that can survive osmotic shock.
There wasn't any affect at all right after I dipped the fish, but today I couldn't see 2 out of 3 pimples on the fin. The fish is very active, I couldn't have a good look, but at least, it's not as noticeble as it was before.

I read a diagnostic on the following website: www.fishyfarmacy.com
And I actually find the fish disease symstom "small pimples on the skin".
It says to treat it with De-Los. Should I try it?

Also the dosage says:
DOSAGE: 1/2 teaspoon per 10 gallons. Treat once a week for 4 weeks. 1/2 pound (treats 796 gal.) If you are using this product in outdoor Koi ponds, no water changes are necessary.

What does it means "once a week"? Dip the fish once a week, or put 1/2 teaspoon/10 gallons once a week?

If using FW dips and being placed back into the same tank infected with any parasite your not going to change anything. The fish must be placed into a QT where the fish and the environment can be treated. This will allow the main tank to remain fallow for 4 weeks so the parasite the the main tank will die.
Are you saying that the parasite will die if there is no fish in the main tank for 4 weeks, eventhought there are some invertebrate? Parasite live in the fish won't live in other than fish?

light and setup info:
1 65W daylight PC, 10,000K
1 65W actinic PC
1.5-3 inches sand bed.
hang-on prizm protein skimmer
mechanical fluval filter
2 201 aquaclear powerheads (120 gallons/hour each)
about 12 pounds of live rocks.

Fish Farmacy said:
De-Los
USE: For control of anchor worms, lice, gill flukes and assorted external parasites on freshwater and marine tropical fish. Toxic to sharks and snails. Do not use on prehistoric fishes such as arowanas, silver dollars, lionfish. Not for use in tanks which contain invertebrates.

DOSAGE: 1/2 teaspoon per 10 gallons. Treat once a week for 4 weeks. 1/2 pound (treats 796 gal.) If you are using this product in outdoor Koi ponds, no water changes are necessary.
Although it does not mention what is in the product, it is not what I would consider an ich treatment if indeed that is what your fish have. Flukes would suggest this product is either formaline, malachite green or a combination of both. Please note it also indicates that it is not safe to use with invertebrates and therefore needs a QT to be used properly. This treatment will eventually work, but takes much longer than copper.

tamren said:
Are you saying that the parasite will die if there is no fish in the main tank for 4 weeks, eventhought there are some invertebrate?
Yes, the parasite cannot live without a fish host and invertebrates cannot become infected.

Parasite live in the fish won't live in other than fish?
No, once the parasite is in the main tank all fish are at risk and all fish in that tank should be treated. If you leave any fish in the main tank, the parasites life cycle will continue and you will never be rid of it. Copper or hyposalinity treated in a seperate quarantine environment are your best options for treating most marine parasites like Cryptocaryon irritans, Brookynella Hostillis or Amyloodinium ocellateum

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom