Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-02-2004, 11:38 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to luv2ride Send a message via MSN to luv2ride Send a message via Yahoo to luv2ride
I acclimated these guys for 4 hours last night (drip) and they were fine. which seems really strange, after 4 hours I was sure they would be ok! The water had to, at the least, quadruple

Old 03-02-2004, 11:44 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Salinity 1.022
PH roughly 8.4 - 8.6
SG is on the low side, mobile inverts like snails and shrimp prefer 1.024 to 1.025, this could be a problem, even after the slow acclimation.

The ph, if 8.4 is ok if higher may be too high for them.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 11:46 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

The SG is a low on the low side for my taste. Inverts should be keep a little higher like around 1.025 SG or 35 ppt.

But I don't think that would cause a major die off this quick like you have experienced. The pH is fine IMO.

Hmm.... How accurate is that nitrate test of yours? You say the tank is only 2 months old. If you have no way of removing nitrate from the system (except water changes) than I would suspect that chemical would be higher than 20ppm in a "fairly" new tank.
Old 03-03-2004, 12:18 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I still think is copper problem.....
Old 03-03-2004, 01:37 AM   #15

Send a message via Yahoo to WildFlower
dead snails

Came across your post, I'm quite new to this site, but what an odd problem your having.

What else is in your tank? Is all other life doing fine? Sometimes the life in our tanks can survive rather well in the environment that they "grow up in" and live in.. when you ad new life that dies off that fast, seems you need to question a false reading of some sort.

You have a relatively new set up as I do, have you added anything to treat an ammonia spike or such? If so perhaps some of your tests are not reading correctly, some additives can not accurately read through many test kits and give results that turn out to be very wrong. Perhaps take a water sample to your LFS and see what results they come up with on a full water test.

Good luck.. I feel your pain. Please let me know what/when u find the solution to your problem.

May your tank prosper.. ~WildFlower~
Old 03-03-2004, 08:53 AM   #16

Send a message via AIM to luv2ride Send a message via MSN to luv2ride Send a message via Yahoo to luv2ride
I will up the salinity, have my water tested at the lfs and let you know what happens. I assume the higher salinity level is ok for the fish? The other inverts I have are just fine... Hermit crabs are thriving!
Old 03-03-2004, 05:18 PM   #17

Update:

LFS says water's fine, however the low salinity 1.022 would kill the snails. Anything below 1.023 will take out snails... hmmm
We may be on to something...

Salinity has been up'd to 1.025, 5 more snails going on tonight. Updates to follow

Comments?
Old 03-03-2004, 06:21 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Raising your SG by .003 in one day is not advisable for any or the fish or critters in your tank. As before acclimate the snails slowly.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 09:29 AM   #19

Salinity now at 1.025 - 1.026. Added 10 more snails last night, and after 10 hours they were all laying upside down BUT still alive. They fell off the glass overnight, I just trurned em over and off they went! Looks like that did it!
Thanks everyone for their help!

Making that drastic change in sg didn't seem to hurt anything, all still alive and kickin!
Old 03-04-2004, 12:20 PM   #20

Send a message via MSN to Homeplate
I had just started a tank. I had a problem losing an orange moon snail and 3 green chromis and found that my deep six hydrometer and off by .004. In other words, I was trying to hit a target Sp. G. of 1.024 but in actuality I was at 1.028-.029. I since have changed to a refractometer that I found on ebay. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Tags
dyi, dying, snail, snails

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com