snails acting strange

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

metree7

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55 gallon tank that I have had for a month and a half. I have three damsels, 15 pounds of live rock, argonite substrate, and six snails( 4 astraes, and 2 turbo). When I fist placed them in the tank a few weeks ago, they were all crawling all over the live rock, eating stuff off of it and looking like they were having a good time. My trites and everything is good. Now, they have all moved up to the very top of the tank,some almost comming out of the tank. They have been up there for the past couple of days. And they dont seem to want to come back down to the rock or substrate. Does anyone have any ideas of what this might be about?

It may indicate a lack of oxygen in the tank or water trouble.

I have a 55 gallon tank that I have had for a month and a half. I have three damsels, 15 pounds of live rock, argonite substrate, and six snails( 4 astraes, and 2 turbo). When I fist placed them in the tank a few weeks ago, they were all crawling all over the live rock, eating stuff off of it and looking like they were having a good time. My trites and everything is good. Now, they have all moved up to the very top of the tank,some almost comming out of the tank. They have been up there for the past couple of days. And they dont seem to want to come back down to the rock or substrate. Does anyone have any ideas of what this might be about?

The thing is, I'm not sure if the tank has any algea yet. I havent seen any green stuff growing in my tank. As far as the temperature: I actually thought that it was too hot. My thermometer was reading 80 or 81 degrees. I turned my heater down so it would be more like 75. I find it odd that they would need more oxygen, since my filter is pumping out thousands of bubles a second, and my other fish are acting normal. Its a real mystery.

Just so we know in a SW tank aeration comes from surface aggitation. As far as Oxygen levels the higher the temp the less oxygen in the tank.

Yes, that is true in my situation: My air supply IS being caused by surface agitation. I did not know that the higher the temperature, the lower the oxygen level. So, I guess its good that I turned down the temperature a bit. i will see if that helps things out and I will monitor the snail's behavior. Thanks for the advice.

If you don't see any algae, then they're probably just looking for food. Seems like there is always a strip of algae along the top of the tank, behind the plastic rim, that you can never scrape/clean. My snails spend a fair amount of time there from time to time.

Regarding temperature, 80 isn't bad. I keep mine between 79 and 80. 75 is a little cool, but it all depends on what's in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom