Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-17-2010, 04:29 PM   #11
Algae Fighter

Send a message via MSN to JustOneMore20
Thanks for the info Matt. I actually have 2 Actinic White bulbs (UV brand) that I need to put in my fixture. Just keep forgetting to do it while the lights are off. I will eventually buy 2 Super Actinic (UV brand) to replace the last 2. So, I had plans to get new bulbs anyways....just doing it slow since 6 bulbs cost too much to buy all at once.

I will consider hermits for the future....seems they are good cleaners...maybe I shouldn't be so scared of them.

Doug, I actually have some Kent tech-M and have been dosing it, but inconsistently. I need to get in the routine of dosing it daily....it kind of makes me nervous though because its like 1ml per gallon (~38mls for my tank)...sounds like a lot!

David, I also have issues turning my fuge light on. I don't have room for another timer which would help me out so much. I turn it on for maybe 8 hours a day, but some days I forget. I can't turn it on at night because the tank is in my room and I can't sleep with the light on. Do you think 13 watts is enough for the chaeto? I assume it gets some light from my tank fixture too....just not as direct.

JustOneMore20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 05:01 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have hermits red and blue leg about 15-20 total. they dont bother my snails at all and im gonna add some more.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:23 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I wouldnt worry too much about hermits, unless you have some exotic snail of some sort (with a really pretty shell ). Sounds like they will have their claws full anyways.

I wouldnt dose anything unless you are testing for it. I think that too high magnesium can cause the calcium to precipitate (or something else). (Been a few years since I had Chemistry for Majors).

Yeap, bulbs are $$$! (For us poor people anyways). Those actinics shouldnt contribute at all to the algae (or corals though). If your 13W fluorescent lamp is close to the chaeto and giving it good illumination, it probably is fine. I have one of those spiraled CFL bulbs pointing near my chaeto clump and the stuff is growing.

Yea, timers are so nice! Very helpful little devices!

You may want to cut down on lighting time until you can get those older bulbs replaced. (Assuming they are the true problem).

I dont remember if you use GFO or not, but its something to try out. I have been running it in my filter and it seems to be helping. (Had a quick reduction in brown whispy algae).

Good luck!
Matt
Old 05-17-2010, 11:29 PM   #14
Algae Fighter

Send a message via MSN to JustOneMore20
I cut the light back to a total of 5 hours with the full 6 bulbs on for 2 (or 2.5...I forget). I'm going to install the actinic white bulbs tonight and then when i get back from my vacation I'll order 2 new bulbs. The fuge light will stay on 24 hours a day while I'm on vacation, so I hope the chaeto grows while I'm away.

I have phosphate removing media (drs foster and smith brand) in my skimmer (filter part)....its similar to gfo. I may need to get some real gfo if the new bulbs and feeding changes don't help.

Thanks again!

JustOneMore20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 03:20 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What kind of corals do you have? 2.5 hours for the "white" bulbs might be too little.

If the phosphate remover says ferric oxide, then its likely good to go.

If nothing seems to help even after a month or so of good bulbs, reduced feedings, and chaeto, then you may want to look up phosphate reactors. They are just a more efficient method of using GFO I believe.

Sounds like you are on the right track! Remember that it takes time to see changes, so dont get discouraged. I felt the same way when my cyano showed up and refused to leave. Now its nowhere to be seen!

Matt

Tags
algae, dyi, dying, snail, snails

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com