Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-03-2012, 09:02 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Can't, was covered with cyano and then siphoned out...I then discover hair algae growing. Now, with everything running in my tank from the fuge, gfo,...there shouldn't be anything. I come to discover water isn't coming through my dual reactor now. Along with that, the problem isn't in the removable tubing, it is in the cemented T in the pvc.

Still doesn't answer why even in my 36, which has been running fine, the corals will not open. There are no dinos, diatoms, cyano nothing in the 36. Before I moved all my coral out of that tank things were fine. Has to be something in the water that isn't being removed by RO/DI or the filter coming into my house.
Hmmm...my next question would have been copper,but I see you've tested for that.And I wouldn't think the reactor not working would cause the issue either unless it dumped a bunch of fines in the water,then that could be a culprit.

I also wonder with salinity that high,where you calcium,alk and mag are setting.Alk could be an issue causing this as well.

Are the corals thats not opening all new corals? Or no corals are opening (such as estabished ones)?

Old 05-03-2012, 09:12 PM   #12
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I haven't tested my calc/alk since I began trying to solve this problem. My concern is mag...I dont have a test for it.

As for all corals...when my 55 finished cycling, I switched all of corals form my 36 into my 55 they all died...originally believed to be a current...don't think it can be the problem now it seems.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:25 PM   #13

Mag is important,alk is typically used up faster than calcium and mag helps keep these two in balance, can you at least test for cal and alk?I'd really like to see where your alk is.

And what about the corals?All new arrivals or established too?
Old 05-03-2012, 09:34 PM   #14
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

All new arrivals. Moving my coral into the 55 killed every single one of them. Anyway, my alkalinity is 7...low but expected...
Old 05-03-2012, 10:05 PM   #15

7dkh is just at the bottom at the ok level of natural seawater,but since your sg is so high,that actually makes your alk pretty darn low because once you get your salinity back in check (around 1.026) all 3 levels are gonna fall accordingly.So i have to wonder if your verts are going through ph or alk shock,seeing that they are new arrivals.Otherwise,ya got me,i'm stumped,lol.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:07 PM   #16
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Shock would mean they were alive still. Either way, stumped as well.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:36 PM   #17

You just temp acclimated,then dumped,right?

When critters get shipped they go to the bathroom and add ammonia to the bag,but because of the dark (in the box) the ph falls (which is ok short term) and the toxicity of ammonia will drop as well,so when drip acclimating,the bag is opened,fresh air/light gets in,temp comes up,ph will climb along with the toxicity of ammonia,so maybe am poisoning?? IDK,just another thought,lol.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:54 PM   #18
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Never had an issue with it with snails...they aren't shipped in water. You just dump them in. I drip acclimate other inverts.

Tags
coral, moving, not moving, snail, snails

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com