Snails... - Sick? or Beat up?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nate C

Aquarium Advice Activist
90 gal tank nearing 8 week mark. nh3/nh4/no2/n03 all zero. 120lbs Pacific Rock, 3" Southdown bed, Added 40lbs Keys rock from LR.com last thursday, experienced a short mini-cycle and levels have all returned to normal. Occupants so far: 10 blue leg hermits, 10 red leg hermits, 10 astrea snails, 5 turbo snails, 5 bumblebee snails, 5 nassarius snails. Various undetermined hitchhikers from KR - so far counting bristle worms, feather dusters, brittle stars, unidentified harry-legged crabs.

I noticed what I thought was a "new/hitchhiker" snail yesterday, hanging out near the surface just inside the water - large bright orange patch on his back. Looking closer and I think(?) it is one of my Astreas :( Either his shell has been attacked/rubbed/worn off by something, or he has some type of infection and the outer layer is coming off?

The new KR has me wondering if a juvenile Mantis might have pummeled him trying to get dinner, and just couldn't get quite all the way through? I haven't seen any sure mantis signs yet...

Has anyone seen anything like this?

Thanks in advance.

Nate C

Back
Top Bottom