Snowflake Eel not looking good

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TriggerHappy

Aquarium Advice Freak
What should I do? I have had my snowflake eel for 4 days and he is not looking good. I saw him eat once, now he does not show much movement and just lies on the rocks, kind of sideways. Sometimes he shows a 'choking type' act. I have the SG at about 1.020 now. Should I raise it? Any advice will help!!

How large is the eel and how's the color (faded?)? Larger eels do not usually do well being transported and can often just give up. If a smaller eel, it could be acclimation stress.

How's the tank specs?

As for the SG, you should really keep in closer to 1.025 (35ppt) no matter what you keep. Lower SG's will serve no purpose and can actually shorten the lifespan of the fish.

Cheers
Steve

The eel is about 13-14 inches. PH around 8.2, Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate around 40. I thought I read that lower SG will prevent ich (can eels get ich??). I am slowly raising the SG.

What about feeding, what is/is not recommeded?

Thanks.

How did you acclimate the eel? What is the temp of your tank? I would suggest doing many small water changes to bring up the SG and it will help bring down the Nitrates in your tank. As for what they eat, its all trial and error. Try some fresh sqid, clams, scallops, my eel is partial to silversides and fresh shrimp. My eel wont eat anything soaked in garlic, and every one that i talk to that keeps eels says the same. Good luck.

TriggerHappy said:
I thought I read that lower SG will prevent ich (can eels get ich??).
Although eels can succumb to parasites, they are extremely resiliant. With the lower salinity part you have been misinformed. Only a salinity of 1.009 (14 ppt) will have any affect on C. irritans. The lowered salinity (1.020) will have no affect with ich but it will adversely affect the health of the animals.

As far as feedings I agree with Stresco, it's a bit of trial and error. I have found that frozen krill can be a good enticement. Something with a good scent to it. Once they start eating and adjust, they usually don't care much and are pretty much pigs. :wink:

If possible, also use a feeding stick and place it right in front of it's snout (without startling it). They are quite clumbsy fish and even though they know food is in the vacinity, they can stumble about for a time before they find it.

Cheers
Steve

Sorry for your loss :(

I would still continue to raise the salinity until you get up closer to 35 ppt. Just be sure you go slowly. About 0.001 SG or equivalent ppt each day.

If you decide on an eel if future, make sure it has a very vibrant color and is only about 6-8" in length. Younger eels have a much better acclimation record than more mature ones.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom