Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-11-2005, 11:31 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to Jasonanatal
Snowflake Moray Eel Wound

Good morning guys. I purchased a Snowflake Moray Eel about 2 days ago and performed a proper acclimation to my 55 gallon FOAWLR setup. I have a Volitan Lionfish with doesn't want anything to do with the Snowflake Moray Eel even thought it swims through the Volitan Lionfish Antennae from time to time. This morning I woke up and saw a circular puncture mark on the Snowflake Moray Eel just near his gills. I'm gathering because their is no aggression toward other tank inhabitants that maybe while swimming through the Volitan Lionfish's Antennae that he may have been accidently stung. He is still behaving normally hours after I turned of the lights but I'm afraid of possible infection. It their any advice from anyone that I should be on the lookout for. All of my water parameters are 0 and ph is 8.4 Thank you in advance for your advice.

Old 11-11-2005, 11:42 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to DragonForce
The very best thing you can do is keep the water quality high. Try feeding less until the wound looks like it is starting to heal up.

3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
Hagen powerfilter(for running carbon 24/7)
nano arctica chiller
DragonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 11:54 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
A long time ago, I bought a jeweled moray from a LFS, they had it in with a green moray. The green shredded this guy. I bought it, took it home and put it in a small hospital tank and treated with melafix for a month. The fish went on to live a lot longer with me. If the wound is not all that severe, it wouldn't take nearly as long to heal. I would suggest a small hospital tank and melafix.
The wound also sounds like what a puffer or trigger would make on a fish it was not happy about.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:07 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well I'm sure that my Starry Puffer did not touch him because he is within a QT tank all by himself because he is having his own issues. It is a very small wound and the Snowflake Moray Eel does not seem bothred by it one bit. I'm guessing it will heal nicely. Does melafix add any type of stress coat because I would hate to render my Seaclone 150 protien skimmer non-functional.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:26 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
do not add melafix to the main tank. It should be done in a hospital tank only. It would make your skimmer go crazy.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:36 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Duely noted and will not do. What would I do with out your people

Tags
eel, flake, moray, snowflake, wound

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com