So frustrating, tank possibly getting nuked :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grimlock3000

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, my wife calls me up at work and starts telling me the Anemone is going bad quickly. This is practically a relief for me, since I did not want the thing in the tank anyway (tank too small, too new, did not want to deal with it...). The Anemone belongs to my wife and she wanted it and was supposed to be the person to deal with it. So, I tell my wife, "Scoop with a net and rubber gloves it out and euthanize it, it can poison the tank." She goes on to tell me everything else in the tank looks fine, except the anemone that lost all of its color and turned black, and floating around in the current. Apparently some type of pods are eating at it to.

So, she goes looking for the net, then decides that she does not want to take the LTA out of the tank because she could tear it or get poisoned herself. I tried explaining that she would be fine with gloves and a net and all she had to do would be to dispose it it humanely (bucket of ice water). No luck, she just does not want to do it.

It will be three hours before I can go home and get it out myself. Oh well :(

Ask her how humane it is to kill everything?

Maybe you can talk her into putting it in a full bucket with a heater and airstone. that way she won't feel like she's killing it, just isolating it till you can check it out.

Maybe you can talk her into putting it in a full bucket with a heater and airstone. that way she won't feel like she's killing it, just isolating it till you can check it out.

That's a good idea.

Her problem is she does not want to touch the anemone, even with a net. Killing it is not the issue from what I can tell. This whole thing is frustrating for me, and a lesson for her.

Heck, it is a lesson for me as well, "Do not bring wife to LFS and agree to make joint desicions regarding the marine tank..."

Just call and tell her something crazy like anemones give off a gass when they die if they are left in the tank that is toxic to humans so she has to take it out or she might get sick or even die.........

At least yours didn't make you buy another tank for the damsels after the cycle was over instead of taking them back to the store. Then when they tried to kill each other force you to take them back to the fish store and get something else for her tank THEN, make you take care of her tank and anything that she wants to buy for it......... I mean I have got to hear the words "baby I think my hermit crab is stuck can you help it" at least 20 times a day.......

I feel your pain! Be strong.

My wife finds it gross and freakish when I touch fish with my bare hands, and shudders when my tiger barbs nip at my arm.
The tanks are all fine and dandy, as long as she doesn't have to do anything with them.

Just remember, "For better, or worse..." :)

LOL! Wives are hilarious sometimes. I think it is great that your wives are involved. My wife does not appreciate the aquatic life. Everything I buy she is always asking me, "what do you need that for?" That's too expensive, or you already have lights, why do you want more? I wish my wife would get more involved in this wonderful hobby. You guys are lucky.
Grimlock - That must be torture knowing there is an anemone dying in your tank, which could potentially wreak havok on everything else. I feel for you dude.

Mike

By the time I got home, my wife had already decided to get the Anemone out instead of letting it float around in the tank. She took a few pics of the Anemone as well. I did a small water change when I got home, and stuck 4 ounces of fresh AC in the filter to help get any nastiness out of the water that the Anemone may have released. This morning, everything appear OK, except for some Hidden Cup Corals that look like they are on the way out. Hopefully they will recover over the next few days. My Yellow Button Polyps look OK for now as well. All inverts are acting normal. PHEW!

Good to hear that nothing major has happened. You might consider doing another small water change today just to be on the safer side.

At least you don't need the sponges on your intakes now.

Back
Top Bottom