So I think my clown goby has ich...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bearchumjs

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 5 gal fluval chi pico reef.

pH is 8.2
Ammo 0
Trites 0
Trates - unknown. I ran out of drops so need a new test.

I have been using instant ocean reef crystals but switched to petco natural seawater because of the hair algae. That's a different issue.

I bought the naked green clown goby 8 days ago. I went through 3 or 4 days of him not eating and he developed bumps. Not Ich or anything. Research I did said it was stress/malnutrition induced. He finally started eating, bumps started going away. Last night he was almost out in the open. He looked pretty good. This morning- lots of bumps, and also white specks. So, I'm pretty sure he has Ich. I don't want to lose him. I've spent hours and hours over the last week trying to get him healthy. I believe he has a strong will to live. What do I need to do? Hypo? I've read that this is best way to kill the Ich.

I have nassarius snails, emerald crab, blue leg hermits crabs, a small candy cane and a few zoas. I will eventually add more coral and inverts, but Brickleberry will be the only fish inhabitant. Please help me try to save my little Brickleberry.

Last edited:
Thank you for the articles!

I'd like to know this- if my fish does indeed have Ich, which I will verify when the lights come on, can I put him in a freshwater dip for 4 minutes, then in QT tank with a thermometer, a piece of filter pad from my filter and then try the hypo treatment?

I didn't bother QT my fish because it is the only fish I will have. I didn't think to research the effects of treatments such as hypo on my inverts and corals. So I have learned a valuable lesson.

If you going to move it to hypo after a fw dip I would just skip the dip entirely . It's just more unneeded stress for the fish.

Hondatek said:
If you going to move it to hypo after a fw dip I would just skip the dip entirely . It's just more unneeded stress for the fish.

Ok.

Could I just move my coral and live rock to a bucket with a PH and thermometer and hypo treat the goby in my tank? That would be a lot less stress on him. I can move my clamp light to the bucket too.

Technically yes you can but being it is only a 5 gallon it may be very hard to maintain the low 1.008-1.009 salinity . If it gets to 1.010 or higher you'll have to start the countdown all over. So my recommendation is to get a big plastic storage tote and treat the fish in there.

Back
Top Bottom