Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-21-2011, 11:15 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
smacked into the live rock? i missed that conversation, but that didn't happen unless the fish was dying from the start. IMO/IME you can't put enough flow in the tank to blow a fish into the live rock. ahh..i see what you wrote above. clowns love the flow, and appear to swim and play in it. that clown was almost dead when you got him i'm afraid.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:51 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

It's up to you on the net. Usually when I dissenfect the QT I put the net in there if I remember otherwise it's another $2 at the pet store. As for your flow Doug is right. What you want is random flow instead of constant in one direction. You can point two powerheads at each other or at the same spot on the glass from two different sides. Although pricey ecotech vortechs do that with one unit. What are you using for flow? Did you post the pictures on another thread?

Steve

Old 03-22-2011, 10:00 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well then, if it is true that the flow that I have in my system had little to do with the clownfish's death, I won't start a separate thread asking about it. Here is my setup, as of tonight. Do you see any problems with it? I probably need more rock but I'm not sure at this point.

I have one power head on the left. I have a manifold type spray bar across the top with 3 water outputs. The ones on either end are basic elbows that I have pointing toward the center. The center output is flexible. I'm not sure if I should be aiming it at the water surface or if it is intended to jet toward coral that need a lot of water movement?

I'm also going to include a picture of my tuxedo urchin, since the topic is sick fish and coral. It really bothers me that it looks like this. All the images I've seen of urchins show them decorating themselves with shells and pebbles. This little guy has a strip of red macroalgae (this red algae has gone viral in my tank and I can't kill it) and some funky glob on the right, in addition to shells and pebbles. Is that intentional? I really want to gently pull that thing off but I'm afraid of hurting it's tube feet. I think that mass was originally hair algae - I had a outbreak of it. I have the hair algae problem virtually solved (frequent water changes) but I think cyano began growing on the clump of stuff the urchin picked up. I'm concerned it could be unhealthy to carry a bunch of bacteria around - or whatever class cyano is in... not that I'm sure it is cyano, heh.

The red circle is red marcoalgae. The yellow circle is cyano bacteria(?)

Thanks for all the help. It's been a discouraging week.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:41 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

You might need a few more lbs of LR for the sake of more surface area for beneficial filtering, coral placement, etc. As for the flow try to make it as random as possible. You don't want direct flow blowing on a coral, at the least it will make them grow funny and worst...well kill them. Once you have the placement of coral and rock just play with it for a while to see what works. Little or no dead spots and good movement over coral.

From your tank shot the red algae seems to me to be purplish and this is good to have. A sign that things are working. It seems to me to be coraline algae. If it's red and slimy with bubbles then you might have cyano bacteria, which I am battling right now.

As for the urchin I'm not sure what to tell you as I have no experience with them. I'm sure someone will lend a hand with some experience with them.

Hope that helps...Steve
Old 03-23-2011, 03:26 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks Steve
Old 03-23-2011, 03:26 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

No prob...anytime

Steve
Old 03-24-2011, 09:56 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

i don't think the urchin is in any danger. it also doesn't appear to me that you have too much flow. i agree with steve that a power head pointed directly at a high flow coral can kill it though.
if i had that tank i would also add more rock and more flow.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:28 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
i don't think the urchin is in any danger. it also doesn't appear to me that you have too much flow. i agree with steve that a power head pointed directly at a high flow coral can kill it though.
if i had that tank i would also add more rock and more flow.
What would you recommend for flow?

Regarding the rock, the tank is 4 feet long but only 12" deep. This is posing aquascaping issues for me. Am I right that you can't use the side walls to support any weight of the rock? I do have a rock stacking kit and masonary bit but what I have constructed doesn't seem solid and I feel pressured working with LR because I'm afraid I will cause a lot of die off, if I take too long. Maybe the answer is getting more base rock so I can take my time. Idk? Maybe longer more cylindrical LR pieces would be a better choice. I've struggled with this aspect of building my tank. I'm going shopping for the QT tank today.

I also have a quick question on lighting. When salt water splashes upward and bakes on the glass protector plate on the metal halide lighting, does that degrade the quality of light and negatively affect the animals? Are you supposed to razor blade off the salt creep? If you scratch the glass with a razor blade, can the glass shatter when the light heats up the plate? It doesn't wipe off the glass and I don't know how best to remove it.

Thanks.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:37 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

i would probably use a pair of koralia 3s or 4s for a 65. i would have to be there to tell you for sure, but i've had more flow than that on a 40 gallon breeder and thought i needed more.
you can stack rock against any wall you want. it's nonsense that you can't stack it against the sides. it might be hard to scrape the side glass this way though.
no, on the glass/metal halide question. i would just remove it when it's off and cold, and wash the glass off with a rag and some fresh water.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:34 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com