So there! Now I've done it.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Something else I just thought of. You really want to make sure that you don't cross contaminate from the QT to DT. I use a different net, siphon tube and small measure cups (that I use for feeding) for both systems. If I need to do work in the DT I do that first then do the work in the QT. I also just noticed in my picture that I didn't mention. I have a small filter/mesh bag filled with ceramic stones that holds beneficial bacteria. Usually I drop this bag in my sump/refugium so that it's colonized and then use it in the QT...but never back.

I know all this adds a bit of cost but when I think of all the $ and more importantly time and care, I spent on my DT and with each addition the chance of endangering the DT the $ make great sense.

Steve

Hey Steve - a few weeks ago, I bought a 10 gallon QT. I want to set it up but I have a question. How long it takes to colonize the ceramic stones? It isn't a dip and go type of thing, right? Should I leave the mesh bag in the sump for a few days? Weeks?

Thanks.

Hello...I leave it in the DT sump for at least a couple of weeks. And place it in the QT just before adding the fish to the QT. I then would start another small bag in the sump and by the time that fish was done QT'ing the next bag was ready.

If you are ready to go for your first fish you can always add the bag through the QT period because even with the beneficial bacteria you still should change the water every two or three days. I also added Instant Ocean's BioSpira which in my opinion worked (There is a whole discussion about bacteria in a bottle but I thought it helped so I did it).

Hope that helps...if you need anymore info just ask away...

Steve

I looked for the biospira at 2 LFS but couldn't find it on the shelves. I skimmed a thread about it here but there didn't seem to be any consensus. I would need to order that online, which isn't a problem because I'm going to need to replace my protein skimmer anyway. This will be my third skimmer and I've made poor choices and had bad luck with them. So, I'm looking at this one but I feel uneasy about it for some reason. What do you think? Reef Octopus NWB 110 Needle Wheel Protein Skimmer - AquaCave Right now I'm using a HOB model and while it is unsightly, access is easy. Looks like this goes into the sump and the footprint of the equipment makes me nervous. I bought a (goofy) sump/refugium with several tight compartments and it is on the small side. I might need to replace it with something that makes more sense. So, I'm not in a hurry to add fish yet because now I'm questioning several pieces of critical equipment. It has taken me months to get this far, a few more weeks won't matter :) Thanks for your help.

Yeah, I had a tough time finding it as well. Even with all the LFS's around here I found it two towns away in my travels for work. As for the skimmer Reef Octopus is the way to go. You won't go wrong there. I originally had another brand but ended up getting the Reef Octopus on a recommendation and I couldn't be happier. You'll really like it. The instructions are brutal but there is not much to it. Make sure it sits in about 7"-8" of sump water (I had to use egg crate to lift it up a bit) and after a few days of the "break-in" period you're good to go. I usually empty and clean the cup every 4 or 5 days (sometimes longer as I have the cup empty into a 4 litre milk jug). Trully you will love it and it'll work great.

It can be frustrating sometimes but you are going about it the right way. Patience is huge in this hobby and the time you spend getting there is only a fraction of the time it'll be up and running. It seems at the time of getting my first fish in the tank took forever but now that things are stable and maintenance is routine it is so enjoyable. You're on the right path...take your time...ask lots of questions and you'll be smiling at the tank before long.

No problem on the help. Anytime and ask anything you need...

Steve

Not so good.

I have a bumper crop of cyanobacteria and everything has slowed to a halt until I can get that under control. I don't want to put the ceramic stones in the sump until I have the problem solved. I've tried a 2 day black out, decreasing time the lights are on, increasing the circulation in the tank, I'm doing several 20% PWC per week and this stuff grows back within 36 hours. Physical removal is short lived. Right now I'm thinking my bulbs might need to be replaced. I'm reading through a lot of online articles to figure out how to tackle it. I haven't even unboxed my QT tank yet.

it's definitely a nutrient issue. if you are unable to defeat it, you can use a product called chemiclean, by boyd enterprises. follow the instructions and it won't hurt anything but the cyano.
you'll need to do multiple water changes afterwards.

I'd love nothing better than a magic bullet but what if I don't solve the underlying cause of the cyano? Will it just regrow?

On a totally unrelated note, I saw this online and it blew me away! I'm still new to the hobby so this was really remarkable to me.

Sea urchins may use the entire surfaces of their bodies—from the ends of their "feet" to the tips of their spines—as huge eyes.

Sea Urchin Body Is One Big Eye

I'm now eyeing my little urchin and wonder if it is eyeing me back :p

the underlying cause is excess nutrients. eventually, it will come back of you can't figure out the cause, but if you are racking your brain, and getting quite discouraged, this can work short term.
i have used it on various tanks with success. especially the tank i maintain at the local gym. it's not only me feeding it, and the others who feed it just dump in a bunch of flake. most of it just floats on the surface until it gets sucked down the overflows.
sometimes 25 gallon weekly water changes just isn't enough.
when something like that arises, i have to get rid of it quickly. they don't want to hear that it will take months of water changes and vacuuming it out before improvement is seen.

That sounds good and I will try it.

You are probably right that it is a nutrient issue. I'm having a hard time figuring out where I'm going wrong, though. I don't have fish and I only feed a few small corals once a week. I use the frozen cube stuff dissolved and target feed with a turkey baster. Maybe the turkey baster is just too large and I'm injecting too much into the setup. I only use 1/4 cube at a time.

I took out the bioballs before all this happened. Think that set a bad chain of events into motion? I removed them slowly over a month. I thought that was conservative?

On the upside, this week has shown some improvement. The cyano is still there but it is somewhat less and rebounding less aggressively. I think what I am doing is working but God it is slow going.

I too was battling the dreaded red cyano. I seem to have gotten a hold on it and it's almost all gone. I stepped up the water changes and siphoned all I could with the pwc. The other thing I did was stop feeding store bought food except for a couple of times a week at the most as a treat. Rinse the frozen stuff with RO water.

What I feed now is a fresh seafood mixture made from scratch (recepie provided by Doug ( Mr. X)). Go to the seafood counter at the grocery store and pick up some raw shrimp, squid, scalops,etc. Actually here is the link to the insructions...

RenegadeReefers.org • Information

I think feeding this more than store bought stuff also help fight the cyano. I feed that to my anemone, torch, duncans, etc as well as the fish. They all took to it from the first batch. Also can't remember if Doug's instructions say so or not but I add Selcon and garlic extract to the mixture as well.

Keep at it. You're getting there. Things just take a bit longer with saltwater. Let me know how it goes...

Steve

I do have a small clean up crew. I have an emerald crab, 5 blue legged hermits, one tuxedo urchin and a peppermint shrimp and some snails. As far as coral, I have trumpet corals, one blue mushroom, zoanthids and something that looks a lot like a xenia. Thanks for the links. I have ordered the chemiclean and it should arrive soon. I'll try Doug's recipe, too. I'm really looking forward to setting up the QT tank but can't with the cyano.

Thanks for all your help Steve.

Back
Top Bottom