Soft Chili Coral not opening??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reefaddict

Aquarium Advice Freak
My Chili isn't opening up anymore! When I first got it, it would open as soon as the lights turned off and stay open till the lights turned on the next day. I was, and still am, feeding with DT's Phytoplankton, every couple of days.

It looks like it is being taken over by green hair algea! It think thats what it is?

I've tried moving it, putting it under a cave, placing it in high water flow areas, low water flow areas. Nothing seems to help.

It won't open for anything! Please help! All other corals are fine and water conditions perfect!

Anyone have any experience with these non-photos?
I'll attach a couple of pics!

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

Algae problems are more often the downfall with non-zooxanthellae animals but not impossible to reverse. Get a new soft bristle toothbrush and gentley remove the hair algae. You will need to keep doing it until it does not grow back. Place the coral out of the light completely and make sure it gets good water flow at the same time. This will help the algae die off faster. Reduce the feedings to once a week or less and be sure the skimmer is working well to remove any excess DOC.

What where the readings for PO4 & NO3?

Cheers
Steve

Thanks for the quick reply Steve!!

I need to get a PO4 test kit!! Nitrates are a steady 2.5 or less ppm.

I just added a skimmer a couple of days ago too. Otherwise i was using a bio-wheel canister filter, that i got rid of, now that i got the skimmer, so hopefully that will help! It seems to be working good, there is alot of nasty looking and smelling foam. I will try the toothbrush and put it completly out of the light.

Any other suggestions will be helpfull, and i'll keep updating.

So if all the green hair algea is off the coral, will it start to open up again?

Thanks again!

Reefaddict said:
So if all the green hair algea is off the coral, will it start to open up again?
The coral will most likely be dormant for a bit but if everything clears up, the polyps should start to emerge soon. Watch at night as well, more often than not they will open up after the lights are out.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom