Soft coral questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pat8you

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok so i've had the pink pulsing xenia in my tank for a little while now and on the base of it there are like bumps that almost look like scars or injuries. Is this normal or not? Is it bad to touch soft corals?

Also there are two little glass anemones on the same rock right near the base of the xenia if i use joe's juice to get rid of them will that damage the coral at all since it is so close.

here are some pictures of what i'm talking about since its kinda hard to describe.
img_849404_0_17db952879a9a017877eb86453110990.jpg
img_849404_1_c7fafea0ca287007575405519f9ef2ba.jpg
img_849404_2_36b38e38ef11df90ef0f07802c5b8965.jpg

It just looks like new buds comming in :) I have handled my softies and sometimes it seems roughly but they always seem fine with it :) I would not suggest throwing it against a wall but they are pretty tough boogers :)
I would hit that with joes juice but then after a few seconds or so take a turkey baster and blow around the coral to keep it off as it can affect the tissue on corals ... :)

Yeah i've been wanted to get rid of them for a while before they spread. There are only two right now but both of them are so close i'm worried about using joes juice or boiling water so close to my corals. They are probably both with in 1cm of the base of my xenia. I know the article says not to remove them manually but if i chop the whole head off and remove it will they still be able to come back? I'm open to any other suggestions as well. How would i directly inject something into the aiptasia?

Dont rip them off any remaining tissue they will regrow from .
To hit them with joes juice you want to get the syringe and needle in the tank and slowly move over to them and stab and inject .. Once you hit them it will melt them down , in a matter of seconds . Some say that it has to be right in the mouth I have found if you get thier hole you will get them too . The other method is to get a peppermint shrimp they eat them if small enough and keep new ones off :)

If you cut off the heads, what's left will grow back.

I always just used kalk (actually Mrs Wages Pickling Lime), added a few drops of water to make it a paste and covered them up. Since the kalk is calcium, you get coralline growing over it very fast too.

You can get a peppermint shrimp as well to get rid of your aiptasia. I did that initially when my tank had a few, and the shrimp goes medieval on them!

Yeah i've heard peppermint shrimp will eat aiptasia but we put two in my moms tank to get rid of an outbreak and neither one of them would go near them. Kind of hit or miss i guess. And those two in the pictures are the only two in the tank anyway. at least that i know of but i keep a pretty close eye on it and i only have 12 gallons to watch over. haha. appreciate the input though

Back
Top Bottom