soldier fish=white spot on fin!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

method0075

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a soldier fish that has been in my tank for three weeks now and has developed a white spoton his rear fin and also on his chin. It looks fungal... any advice how to treat this?

First thing is that you have to find out what it has and then treat. Whatever it is you`ll most likely will have to Quantine it. Maybe some of the good guys can help to identify the disease.

Could simpley be a mild bacterial problem, if so meds won't typically be needed. In most cases several large water changes with well aged/aerated SW will clear it up. The water changes reduce the DOC in the water which will help starve the bacteria. Also be sure to bolster the fish diet with vitamin ([acronym="Highly Unsaturated Fatty Acid"]HUFA[/acronym]) fortified foods.

If it gets worse or doesn't abate after a few weeks, it could be a true fungal infection (quite rare) and may need to be QT'd and treated. Start with the above first and move on from there. Try a google image search for Lymphocystis and fugal infections and see if either look similar to your fish.

Cheers
Steve

When I checked out the fish this morning I didn`t notice the white fungus anymore... I`m wondering if it cleared up on it`s own. I`ll continue to monitor all fish in the tank. I`m going to start up a quarantine tank on the sidejust in case. This could be an eye opener for me :)

A bacterial problem will not commonly clear up overnight although insignificant abbrasions and fin bruising will. If a parasite, it will come back in a few days so be watchful.

Having the ability to set up a QT in a hurry is definately a good choice. Never hurts to be prepared. Best to have it set up and cycled especially if you are not done aquiring fish. All new arrivals should spend a good 4 weeks in the QT before entering the main display.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom