Some thing Attacking my Chromis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thomsona

Aquarium Advice Activist
Tea Tree Gully in South Australia, Hottest State i
Hello

i have had a Blue/Green Chromis in my tank for over a month now (1 fish only and the only fish in the tank) and the last few days i have noticed it looked spooked, now today when feeding i have been able to get a look at one side of the fish which has clearly been attacked it looks like it has been speared near the end of the tail and it has be lacerated near its front fin,

the only other critters in my tank are 2 astrai snails, 2 trotches snails and 4 hermit crabs and one dark crab with white tips on its feet

any ideas on what could have attacked my only fish :( dont want to add anything else till i find out :(

Cheers

Andrew

Glass/bottle trick. Lean a glass against the rock at night with some food at the bottom (shrimp, flake, anything you feed your tank). Crab will fall in to get the food and won't be able to get out. If that doesn't work you could try making the bottle trap.

Here are a few pictures of one of the crabs I caught in a glass as far as I know there Is a bigger one in there still

It measures about 2cm body width and 1.5cm long

Cheers

Attachments

• image-3396893049.jpg
    image-3396893049.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 106
  • image-3391272784.jpg
    image-3391272784.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 107
  • image-1287069524.jpg
    image-1287069524.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 104
ew thats one ugly crab! What did you do with it?? I always keep any unwanted hitchhikers in the sump, not really possible if you don't have one though haha.

It might do fine at the beach if you release it into a rocky area, those crabs are very hardy

It's illegal to release any wildlife that's ever been in an aquarium back into the wild. Just a heads up. Turn it into sushi or find someone to keep it for you if you can't keep it.

I'd also get that other crab out asap. It probably can't fit through the bottle...You can go to the bait shop or academy or what have yo uand buy yourself a small plastic minnow trap...that might work.

It's illegal to release any wildlife that's ever been in an aquarium back into the wild. Just a heads up. Turn it into sushi or find someone to keep it for you if you can't keep it.

I'd also get that other crab out asap. It probably can't fit through the bottle...You can go to the bait shop or academy or what have yo uand buy yourself a small plastic minnow trap...that might work.

Hmm never even thought of that, living in Sk I wouldn't be able to release anything saltwater and have it live haha

Back
Top Bottom