Someone help!!! Freshwater dip?? Advice needed asap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Missjmeide

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have to wait a few more hours for the store to open so I can get the correct medicine, in the meantime, can I just freshwater dip my damsel? I want to get the parasites off him. Also, what water can I use in the qt tank that I have not set up yet? Can I use ocean water?

I gotta say, I can't recommend a fw dip. Alot of fish are so stressed out already that it can help to kill them. Just wait the couple more hours. Unless the fish can't breathe or is on deaths door at this moment.

Alot of people say they are great but just as many say they can be bad. theres not much opinion in the middle.

You can use tank water from your main tank or fresh saltwater. If you don;t have a cycled qt or an extra filter running in your main tank then you are gonna have to do water changes anyway while you medicate.

How many fish do you have and how many are infected? I;m not sure about parasites but wouldn't all your fish now be suscecptible to whatever it is?

image-1467407770.jpg

image-3058776014.jpg

I'm pretty sure he has ICK. He keeps rubbing up against everything pretty much...I just had the net in the tank because I was getting rid of a couple crabs and he kept trying to rub up on the net!! I bought coppersafe but after reading about it more and more it doesn't seem so harmless. I was planning on getting the instant ocean lifeguard tablets instead.

Are there any other fish in the tank? If so they might catch it too since it;s in your main tanks system now.

I've heard for the ich either go hyposlainity treatment or go with cupramine a copper based med.

How long has he been like this?

I don't see any white spots on the fish in the picture. Could it be marine velvet?

Definitely looks like ich. Either do hyposalinity or cupramine treatment; and you need to treat all of your fish, even if you don't see spots. You need to let your main tank sit empty of fish for at least 6 weeks to kill the ich in the tank.

I had to move 6 fish into QT because of 1 fish :(

FW dips are perfectly safe when done properly ...I have done it numerous times without a loss of a any fish...PH and temp must be close to exact of your DT....I dip all new fish then place in QT
When fish are so far along with ich its best to do them ,,It gives them instant relief as you can actually watch the white spots drop off..

I would not use ocean water

Back
Top Bottom