Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-09-2004, 03:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Someone Please HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hey guys i need some big help my 3 fish died! I changed from a 55gal to a 80gal, the next day my blue tang died! i figured he was just sensitive, and highly stressed since all the water tests tests were good. My water staid cloudy for a week and my wrasse was looking sick. I asked the man at the fish store and he game me some "Aquarium Zyme" to clear up the bacteria bloom and reestablish lost bacteria, he said it was better than Stress zyme. I did and my wrasse passed away the next day, yesterday before i put the second dose i notice my eel was sick, i put in the dose and left. this morning my eel died. Whats going on???? PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

PS: the instructions on the bottle: 1oz for every 10gal every other day for a total of 3apps

thank you[/b]

Old 10-09-2004, 03:39 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

forgot to tell you my tests last night....

Amonia: .3
PH 7.8

everything else is great

Old 10-09-2004, 03:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to penguinsix Send a message via MSN to penguinsix
pH is too low not sure on the ammonia but i think it is too high, what were you nitrites and nitrates? i would wait for someone else to saysomething because i am relativitally new to this, kinda.

2.5 gallon nano -3lb of LR, 3 LBS of LS and some Caulerpa prolifera and a trumpet coral and some xenia.

29 gallon - getting ready to cycle.
penguinsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 04:20 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If you used all of the water and biological filtration from the 55g there should be no NH3 spike unless you did too much cleaning during the move. What were your parameters before the move? PH wouldn't drop that low if your water is properly buffered. More info on your tank and how you did the upgrade would allow a more definitive answer.
46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 04:26 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

How long had the first tank been setup and did it have a DSB?

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 05:50 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I was thinking along with phases. I have done too much of a water change and had fish die(it was freshwater but saltwater is similar). If they lose too much beneficial bacteria that causes big problems.
Old 10-09-2004, 06:04 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

my 55gal was up for about 4 months, and dumb me used to syphon the sand. that led to a bacteria bloom and i got cloudy water in the last month having the 55gal. when i transfered to the 80gal the cloudiness continued...

nitrite 0
nitrate 2.5(next bar up is 0)

when i switched tanks i first emptied all the water into a lot of blue water jugs, and had the fish in a 5gal bucket with stress coat. i then scooped the sand with a clean little shovel into the new aquarium then in one spot of the tank added all the water to prevent the sand of mixing all around.

before that i believe i had an ammonia of 0 to .2 and my ph was 8 to 8.2... as somedays it changes... nitrite was 0 and nitrate was 2.5.

i do water changes once a week and use amquel after each. when nitrite or nitrate is hight after a water change i use amquel plus. and every once in a while i add novaqua.

should i add some ph up?

would live rock help...if i added live rock(fowlr) do i remove the bioballs?
Old 10-09-2004, 07:33 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hi, sorry to hear about your troubles. I think amonia could be the problem. Any detectable anomia is too much for the fish. It is possible that the amonia spike is a product of the dead fish. How long were they in there after they died? I still think it was the cause of, not product of, the deaths. Not sure what caused the spike though...Lando
Old 10-09-2004, 08:06 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

IMO its not the ammonia at that low of a reading and in only 3 days. Where did you mix the new water for the tank and how long was it mixing before you added the fish? Did you acclimate the fish to the new tank at all and was it up to the right temp? Adding 30 gal of new water I would have acclimated them, just like when you brought them home.
You have no LR at all? So the only bacteria you transferred was from the sand?
A PH drop like that IMO could have killed the fish. 8.2-7.8 without any acclimation.. Maybe you did acclimate I don't know just thinking out loud....

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 02:08 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If you are using amquel it doesn't remove the ammonia it just makes it not dangerous for your fish. Your ammonia reading could be telling you it is there but it really isn't. I'm curious

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com